Paid Add On Updates Confusion

DaveM

I don't know if it is just me but I am really getting confused when it comes to updating my paid add on. This is cause by all the different way developers distribute their add ons. I don't actually really know how this can be fixed other than having them downloadable from here as the free ones are. Or even a standard link to the developers method of downloading their add on.

I am sure that some type of process could be added to the resource manager to handle this.

I don't know if it is just me but I am really getting confused when it comes to updating my paid add on. This is cause by all the different way developers distribute their add ons. I don't actually really know how this can be fixed other than having them downloadable from here as the free ones are. Or even a standard link to the developers method of downloading their add on.

I am sure that some type of process could be added to the resource manager to handle this.

They can be updated like any other add on within the resource manager.

If you are in doubt, follow the following guides:

XenForo Resource Manager | XenForo

XenForo Media Gallery | XenForo

XenForo Enhanced Search | XenForo

They can be updated like any other add on within the resource manager.

If you are in doubt, follow the following guides:

XenForo Resource Manager | XenForo

XenForo Media Gallery | XenForo

XenForo Enhanced Search | XenForo
I think @DaveM meant the way paid add-on's are distributed. Meaning one developer has them available for buying via FetchApp and the add-on and future updates are sent via e-mail or similar.

Another developer uses Chris D's Product Manager and has their own site for it.

Yet another developer may have their own custom solution for selling add-ons.

It would be way easier if premium third-party add-ons could be bought directly from XF, without the need for third party sites, however I understand that developers like to have their own sites (can be easier to keep track of bug reports and support requests, easily being able to see who has actually bought the add-on etc than the discussion threads here).

Reactions: Xon
@markku This is what I mean but even if they do have their own site as long as we can get a standard way in the resource manager that could easily direct us to the way they update the add on that would also be ok.

@markku This is what I mean but even if they do have their own site as long as we can get a standard way in the resource manager that could easily direct us to the way they update the add on that would also be ok.
I can't see how that's possible with the different distribution methods used. Maybe you have a suggestion?

This is already implemented in XenForo.
Just go to the list of the installed add-ons and click at the name of the add-on. You'll be linked directly to the distribution site (at least with well coded add-ons) and be able to check the version and download the add-on.

I can't see how that's possible with the different distribution methods used. Maybe you have a suggestion?

Well you have the purchase option possibly have a second option showing to those customers that have purchased it say a download option and this will take you to the download option and if it is a mail distribution it will inform you of such. If it is some other custom solution it will also inform you of that option. On asking the one time as I could not remember I was told to use the previously sent download mail link. I had to scratch around trying to find that mail and then do the download.

This is already implemented in XenForo.
Just go to the list of the installed add-ons and click at the name of the add-on. You'll be linked directly to the distribution site (at least with well coded add-ons) and be able to check the version and download the add-on.

And if it is a mail sent update and you just did not get the mail, or another external site that keeps the downloads and you cannot remember that (see above).

If add ons are not updated all the time and you have a few forums with different paid add ons it becomes a task keeping track of who does it what way. For example this add on was updated Best Answer / Q&A System and after scratching around I finally worked out that the update needs to be downloaded from fetchapp.com

Have you considered keeping records/a file/notes/some sort of system for helping you log the details of add-ons you have purchased?

This really just comes down to management.

Reactions: Rob
Have you considered keeping records/a file/notes/some sort of system for helping you log the details of add-ons you have purchased?

Isn't the 'list add ons' screen exactly that?

That lists the add-ons you have installed but it doesn't necessarily explain where and how to obtain updates for each one.

It would be way easier if premium third-party add-ons could be bought directly from XF, without the need for third party sites,

I agree, but then XF.com would need to become a fully-fledged add-on marketplace. And I doubt that this is going to happen.

as long as we can get a standard way in the resource manager that could easily direct us to the way they update the add on that would also be ok.

So that would be basically a new „Update info“ field in a resource. I think that would be good idea and would also not be hard to implement..

I just keep a list in a document listing Addon Name and link to where to download it or a note saying it comes via email, etc.

I do this to a degree but it all sits on my one computer and I have a few different location with different computers I would from, so each time I need to hang around until I am working on that computer and I might just forget about the update by that time. It would be a lot easer to have that management done right here.

Host the file online.
Or create a thread in a private forum only accessible to you.

I have actually started doing that but can only updated it as I find out how each one updates at the time, Maybe we need a paid add on to manage this with our paid add ons :D

Top Bottom