[OzzModz] XFOptimize - Minify, Preconnect & Preload [Deleted]

I'm running a custom version of Bolt which is a pretty optimized and fast style.

And as you can see by my numbers, the website is already pretty optimized...

1637449697090.webp
(This is with the add-on disabled)

Hi @duderuud, sorry to hear you didn't have good results, but those are extremely impressive scores without the addon! I don't honestly see what more could be optimized, without knowing further into things like Core Web Vitals directly from Google or Lighthouse/PageSpeed Insights.

If there's anything specific that could be optimized at your site or changes made to the addon, I'd be happy to discuss via PM.

Interesting Add-on :)

As others have already pointed out, I think it would be good if you could provide a demo page so the effect of you Add-on can be seen and tested before a purcashe decision is made.

We do have an internal Add-on that does similar things, from my experience the impact of optimizations can be clearly seen so it shouldn't be hard to set up a demo site for your Add-on as well?

With out internal optimization Add-on active
View attachment 260600

With most (but not all) of functionality of ou internal optimization Add-on disabled:
View attachment 260601
Thanks for sharing that @Kirby.

My plan for the demo will be a sample page set up with various content, widgets etc to mimic a real-scenario Page node in Xenforo. I'll then create a mirror page with the addon specifically disabled, so tests can be run on each to see the difference.

I am still making adjustments to the addon based on feedback, as previously two private websites was not enough IMO to establish definitive results. I will try to have the demo pages running asap with the next release.

Cheers

@Nulumia well done so far.

Downloaded and installed. Runs flawlessly so far. Good work.

Only the .css and Javascript options with googleads increase our cls value on Google pagespeed from 0.02 to 0.125.
But since we only need the html beautifier this is not a problem. (Disabled other options)
I'm looking forward to the next beta. :)

@Nulumia well done so far.

Downloaded and installed. Runs flawlessly so far. Good work.

Only the .css and Javascript options with googleads increase our cls value on Google pagespeed from 0.02 to 0.125.
But since we only need the html beautifier this is not a problem. (Disabled other options)
I'm looking forward to the next beta. :)
Hi @Masetrix thanks so much for sharing!
Glad you're using the addon to success. I'm looking forward to the next update which contains the Recommendations page, which will help show settings already in Xenforo to tweak for more results :-)

Move all <script> tags to footer kills Google Ads for me. Makes sense though.

----

weird behavior. even with all options disabled, if the addon is enabled, hotlinked images do not load in lightbox.

Last edited:
You should definitely fix the enable text compression issue. I doubt the addon can do it. It requires modification of config files of apache/nginx. Relatively easy fix for your host to do it if you are on managed hosting. DOM and CSS related issues are harder I believe.

As for the problem with hotlinked image not opening up in lightbox... Here is an example post. All addon settings disable does not fix it. Disabling the addon fixes it. I am really confused about this.

Minify script tags hits loading of link favicons powered by [rellect] Favicon For Links. All links show generic image instead of actual favicons. DIsable it. I guess it does not really increase the page size that much.

Thanks Chromaniac yes I agree about the Apache/Nginx settings. Also, I'm looking into both those issues you mentioned and can surely fix those in the next patch. Thanks for reporting.

@Nirjonadda It may be able to help with "Eliminate render blocking resources" but I'd need you to PM me the list of resources it mentions. "Reduce unused CSS" is always reported in Xenforo as virtually all speed testing sites consider the core CSS files as unnecessary (loaded in the <head> area) even though they are.

"Avoid excessive DOM size" can absolutely be improved, but not by this addon. It requires your theme and addons to use minimal HTML, and Xenforo already is very complex in front-end HTML structure. In my experience, Xenforo will always be pinged for this.

For anyone that doesn't already know this, Xenforo is verrrry syntactical and nested in its markup, perhaps overly so if looking at it from an optimization standpoint. For example, take the following:
HTML:
<div class="block">
    <div class="block-container">
        <div class="block-row block-body">
            <div class="contentRow">
                <div class="contentRow-main">
                    <div class="contentRow-title">Hello</div>
                    <div class="contentRow-snippet">Test test..</div>
                </div>
            </div>
        </div>
    </div>
</div>

It takes 5 nested elements just to get to the content. The benefit of this is that Xenforo as a whole establishes core rules and syntax to follow and repeat for virtually any structural need, and most addon developers follow these rules in their products.

The benefit is that both core and community code is very predictable, recognizable and readable from a syntax standpoint, and makes working in Xenforo very easy once you learn it. Compared to other platforms such as Wordpress, where it's the Wild West and nearly any theme or plugin you install will be alien in its approach.

The downside is that this produces very heavy page structure, especially when elements are repeated many times in say a grid, list or sidebar.

For this reason Xenforo usually gets flagged by PageSpeed Insights or GTMetrix for having excessive DOM size (amount of HTML). There's very little you can do about this for core XF & addons.

What you can do is when dealing with Page nodes, where you write your own HTML or embed custom widgets. Try to write as efficient HTML as possible, and minimize use of repeating elements.

For example, a client of mine had a homepage using a custom Page node. It had grids of "Most recent threads", "Most recent posts", "Most recent products" etc. We scrapped a few of these sections and reduced the visible items in the others from 10 to 4. This cut down on the DOM size by a large amount. Remember that past what you are adding to Xenforo (via pages, widgets, etc), you cannot go further in reducing DOM. XF is what it is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom