[OzzModz] Country Flags by IP Address

[OzzModz] Country Flags by IP Address 2.2.1 Patch Level 3

No permission to download
Currently -as per info from MaxMind support- it looks like you can use a common key (created by yourself) and include it in your code to have your customers download the databases.

So all you need to update this add-on is to include the download key and change the download url in your script. Can be done very easily.
No need to delete this resource.
Great find. Thanks for getting in touch with MaxMind!

Currently -as per info from MaxMind support- it looks like you can use a common key (created by yourself) and include it in your code to have your customers download the databases.

So all you need to update this add-on is to include the download key and change the download url in your script. Can be done very easily.
No need to delete this resource.
Could you provide a link to that?

Anything I've seen refers to "As long as you own, operate, and have sole access to those websites". Obviously any add-on does not meet that qualification.

It also specifically says...
You may install and use multiple copies of the GeoIP Databases on multiple computers as long as the databases are accessible only by you and your employees.

Last edited:
Extracting the Phar file was never the issue - current version of the addons would have had to do that anyway.

What is new is that you can no longer simply download the database from Maxmind - you need to register an account provide a license key key in the URL to download it.

I've been working on an update to my Geoblocking addon which includes support for the new database download mechanism. Once it's posted, I'll point people to the class I created that you might want to use for database downloads.
The change to having to switch to an entered license key shouldn't be a big issue either. ;)

Because in its current state no new installs will work. Existing installs will continue to function as is.

Could you provide a link to that?

Quote from MaxMind support:
In case it is helpful, you may redistribute the files with a single API key provided you abide by the terms of the GeoLite2 EULA (e.g., ensuring Do Not Sell request data is passed along), including making sure that your license with your customers is updated accordingly.

But you can ask MaxMind yourself. ;-)

Quote from MaxMind support:

But you can ask MaxMind yourself. ;-)
While that all sounds fine and dandy, personally I wouldn't do it.

In the event that a site begins doing something illegal with what is "my key" hard coded in the software, they could shut down "my key" and every web site that uses the add-on would be down.

But, that's just me. It's totally up to @ozzy47 as to what he wants to do.

In the event that a site begins doing something illegal with what is "my key" hard coded in the software, they could shut down "my key" and every web site that uses the add-on would be down.

You would simply need to update the add-on with another key. ;-)

But yes, in the long run there needs to be a possibility to setup your own license key for the download.

You would simply need to update the add-on with another key. ;-)

But yes, in the long run there needs to be a possibility to setup your own license key for the download.
Sometimes I love the way people think.

Any key hard coded into an add-on is subject to abuse. And updating the add-on with another key would be subject to MaxMind actually issuing another key to someone that has been revoked.

If it's going to be done, it's best to make separate keys required now rather than later.

Any key hard coded into an add-on is subject to abuse. And updating the add-on with another key would be subject to MaxMind actually issuing another key to someone that has been revoked.

Actually, everyone can get up to 25 free keys from MaxMind to download files. ;-)

I would do it before I would have to delete the resource and buy time to update it for the usage of the customers own keys. It's just a matter of the quickest solution. And for easy installation, I would even continue to use a shared key.

But it's up to @ozzy47 to decide what we want's to do.

I just noticed that @AndyB has also added a thread here about the new add-on:

This would be included in your $35 annual "subscription" to Andy's add-on collection -- it is not free as has been the @Snog/@ozzy47 add-on.

A couple of notes:
  • @AndyB's add-on uses IPstack as the geolocation service provider
  • You have to register for a free IPstack account at the time of implementing the add-on, and enter the code you receive.
  • IPstack has a monthly limit of 10,000 API calls for each free account -- but after the first (initial) run, the @AndyB add-on's cron-job only makes API queries for newly signed-up members of your forum. So, unless you are gaining massive numbers of new members each month, it is unlikely that you will hit the 10K API hit limit.

I just noticed that @AndyB has also added a thread here about the new add-on:

This would be included in your $35 annual "subscription" to Andy's add-on collection -- it is not free as has been the @Snog/@ozzy47 add-on.

A couple of notes:
  • @AndyB's add-on uses IPstack as the geolocation service provider
  • You have to register for a free IPstack account at the time of implementing the add-on, and enter the code you receive.
  • IPstack has a monthly limit of 10,000 API calls for each free account -- but after the first (initial) run, the @AndyB add-on's cron-job only makes API queries for newly signed-up members of your forum. So, unless you are gaining massive numbers of new members each month, it is unlikely that you will hit the 10K API hit limit.

As stated before, this addon will continue to work for quite some time as it is. Any new installs would not have worked due to the new download restrictions. I will be looking into updating it to the new download system when I can. But for now the addon has to be deleted on here as it will not install on any new sites.

As stated before, this addon will continue to work for quite some time as it is. Any new installs would not have worked due to the new download restrictions. I will be looking into updating it to the new download system when I can. But for now the addon has to be deleted on here as it will not install on any new sites.

so i take it there are no updates for this? Will there be soon?

One thing is sure, I'm not gonna support AndyB which do monetize every single thing he does. There's a huge difference between him and you or other skilled developers here on Xenforo, I can see the passion most developers put in what they do (like you, Dbtech and a few others), and, on the other side, the focus on money, no support and no passion from users like AndyB. I've made the mistake once, didn't get any support and assistance and immediately regretted what I did to support him, so rest assured I'll keep being one of your loyal customers, Snog/Ozzy47.
You obviously don’t know @AndyB. I have met him in person. Andy does his mods out of pure enjoyment and passion, not out of. Desire to make as many bucks as he can. He is also one of the most personable, kindest and most welcoming people I’ve met in a very long time. He took the time when we met to advise me and make helpful suggestions on how I could optimize and improve my XF forum, some of which we did right on the spot.

I think the pricing scheme he has ($35 per year for as many mods as you want) states that fact very loudly !! Heck I paid $30 for just one Ozzy Mod (Ozzinator Registration Spaminator) — not complaining, but to say that @AndyB is greedy when you can get access to hundreds of mods for one modest price is ..... just a little inaccurate.

I do not even for one second believe that Andy does his mods out of greed or a need for big income. He does it out of enjoyment and a desire to help others and provide useful solutions.

If you want support from Andy, go to his web site. www.xf2addons.com He is extremely responsive there. I sent him a heads up last night on a slight issue that popped up with php 7.4 on one of his mods and I had a response within a half hour.

You should become more educated before you disparage and condemn others. And by the way I think @ozzy47/@Snog are the bee’s knees too.

Last edited:
ozzy47 updated Country Flags by IP Address with a new update entry:

Country Flags by IP Address for XenForo 2.1+ Update 2.1.0

Add - Download of database when MaxMind license key is entered or changed in add-on options
Change - Database update cron task will not run without MaxMind license key
Change - Flag detection will not run if MaxMind database hasn't been downloaded
Remove - Download of database from setup routine

NOTE:
All users of this add-on must obtain their own license key from MaxMind and enter it in the add-on options.

To obtain a license key, see this:

Read the rest of this update entry...

Top Bottom