OVH Classic VPS vs SSD VPS

TDUBS

Hello,

I am currently with OVH's Classic VPS plan sitting at 4GB of RAM and 50GB HDD space for $11/m which OVH no longer offers. They just released their new line of SSD VPS' in which I am intrigued about simply because they're cheaper, but the storage is now with an SSD. I'm currently using 8GB HDD space as my forum isn't big so I'm looking to possibly downgrade to a 4GB of RAM and 20GB SSD space for $7/m.

My question is, would it be worth the whole reconfiguration process as I'm using a Centmin Mod web stack? Aside from the benefits of it being an SSD, would I benefit from anything else? I'm wanting to know so I can decide sooner than later.

Please don't bash OVH/tell me to go elsewhere or scold me for hosting with them as I've not had any issues with them and my forum runs smooth. I just want your proper input on this question.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Well, he asked for the benefits, and I saw the offers because I use OVH (love them btw) so I bought the service only to find out I cant purchase multiple Ips

why would you think it would be a bad move?

Not that making the switch for an SSD VPS is a bad idea, I didn't know if there's anything else I should know about considering it's their new line of VPS'.

FYI, you cannot get additional IPs on the VPS

Can you get IP changes though? Say your raw VPS IP has been leaked for whatever reason and you're now facing large DDoS attacks.. can they change it or are they still strict about the reasons for why you're requesting an IP change?

Can you get IP changes though? Say your raw VPS IP has been leaked for whatever reason and you're now facing large DDoS attacks.. can they change it or are they still strict about the reasons for why you're requesting an IP change?
Yes... you can get another IP... by getting another VPS.
They don't change the IP's (or at least that was the experience of 2 people I helped not to long ago), and if you are on a package that does allow you to have multiple IP's, then you may lose that ability.
That's why I like my dedi. I have 12 IP's to use, and each domain has it's own IP pretty much (the ones without SSL share an IP) since I do want browsers that can't use SNI to still connect.

Not that making the switch for an SSD VPS is a bad idea, I didn't know if there's anything else I should know about considering it's their new line of VPS'.

Yes... you can get another IP... by getting another VPS.
They don't change the IP's (or at least that was the experience of 2 people I helped not to long ago), and if you are on a package that does allow you to have multiple IP's, then you may lose that ability.
That's why I like my dedi. I have 12 IP's to use, and each domain has it's own IP pretty much (the ones without SSL share an IP) since I do want browsers that can't use SNI to still connect.
Yea as tracy said, dedicated is the way to go as far as multiple IPs go. If you are getting DDos attacked, they will null route your ip anyways, so yes you can get a new ip. You just cant have multiple ips, not yet anyways. Which that killed it for me instantly, because I need multiple IP's for SSL and for domain hosting.

I've been using them since 2013, and also been DDOS pretty hard but not re-routed.
Thats awesome, I love OVH. I use SYS. I just wish I could use multiple IPs on their vps's :( They said it will happen soon though, so Ill be keeping watch :)

Used OVH for years also, 5+ actually. Only ever a positive experience.
Now with OneProvider, a reseller of OVH I believe.

Top Bottom