XF 1.3 Overwrite nulled with licensed question?

Goodfella

I recently "purchased" a website with XenForo installed on it. Me being a rookie and not knowing much about XenForo I did not ask any questions regarding the license.
After using the website for a few days and doing XenForo research i came to realize that the person i had purchased it from never provided a license to me. I reached out to the person via email and asked for a License key and if they can transfer the license to my name. Long story short we went back and forth until I got him to admit that it was a stolen/nulled copy.
Im in the situation now where I own the website with a nulled XenForo on it. The last thing i want to do is not pay for someones hard work and steal it.
I have no issues purchasing a license but my question is when i purchase the license and download xenforo, do I just overwrite all the existing files? How about if there are some bad files that will not be duplicates this way they will not be overwritten? Basically what if this nulled version has a bunch of unnecessary junk files, how would i get rid of those?

I am interested in overwriting the current XenForo version with my licensed version. My questions really is what if the old owner (nulled version) had back doors or junk files how would i filter those and delete them?

Thank you for your assistance.

Just upload all the files of your licensed copy, and overwrite the nulled copy completely.

You may wish to reinstall addons as well, just to be on the safe side.

If you want to be really secure, delete all files in the relevant folder, and reupload the XF files, then any addon files. That'll ensure you're clean.

Liam

Assuming there are no additional files, all that is required is to download the upgrade .zip from your customer area and overwrite the existing files on the serve.

The only way to know for sure whether there are any extra files would be to do a side by side comparison of the directories and files within.

Deleting is an option but ensure you don't delete the /data or /internal_data directories.
Also, take a backup of config.php first.

Just upload all the files of your licensed copy, and overwrite the nulled copy completely.

You may wish to reinstall addons as well, just to be on the safe side.

If you want to be really secure, delete all files in the relevant folder, and reupload the XF files, then any addon files. That'll ensure you're clean.

Liam
Thanks for the quick reply. Luckily no add ons :)

Assuming there are no additional files, all that is required is to download the upgrade .zip from your customer area and overwrite the existing files on the serve.

The only way to know for sure whether there are any extra files would be to do a side by side comparison of the directories and files within.

Deleting is an option but ensure you don't delete the /data or /internal_data directories.
Also, take a backup of config.php and install-lock.php first.
I till work on this tonight. I think deleting might be a better option since side by side may take forever. So all i would have to delete it everything besides /data, /internal_data, config and install-lock?

Oh, and if you're going to delete things, don't delete the data and internal_data directories - they contain attachments and such like.

Thank you very much for the assistance!

Take a backup of .htacess too, just in case you have any custom configuration in it.

Oh and any custom style directories you may have, or custom icons in the default style directory.

Top Bottom