Order Media by Filename, NOT Time Uploaded

frm

...or add an option to do so...

Every camera takes photos in sequence. They can create a story. This is especially true when you can title images and then add descriptions to them. If you're browsing the media gallery, you should go from the first picture taken (CAM468.jpg) to the last in the series (CAM529.jpg). This way you can title, for example, CAM468 "Arriving to X", CAM480.jpg "Enjoying X at Y", and CAM529.jpg "Leaving X".

Photographers generally take this a step farther and use Lightroom, applying edits, and then removing pictures between 468 and 529 that don't quite fit the narrative of a story being told. Lightroom will automatically export them as your-prefix-XXX.jpg (where X is a number from 001 to 999).

Either way, if you batch upload files, be it CAM480 to CAM529 or your-prefix-001 to your-prefix-200, they will end up in the gallery in reverse order.

The only way to fix this, at the moment, is to filter the gallery by date, ascending. However, if you do that and click the first picture (480 or 001), your "next" picture will no longer be in order as you will have to go to the previous, in backward order.

The only other way around this is to upload each file individually, starting from 529 or 200 and then working your way to 480 or 001. This is not feasible to do, even for galleries of 5 images as it's time-consuming.

Please add an option to sort by date, title, filename, or whatever from the admin panel.

I believe that if there are more photographers here or if admins receive input from photographers on their individual communities, they'd find it tedious to put in order and an annoyance.

The way it is now is horrible and should be fixed or there should be a logical reason why it is the way it is (I honestly can't think of any use case as it stands when creating galleries).

Thanks and "like" this post if you agree sorting should be an admin option. đź‘Ť

Upvote 18
+1 This is what i am waiting for before i transfer my other site from vBulletin to Xenforo as some of my galleries have loads of images and the sorting is not too great.

I found a workaround for this that is quite easy for the tech-savvy among us, and it's as simple as organizing files by name in descending order and then batch upload them so you don't have to do it one by one.

It would be nice to not have to explain this to everyone though, as that typically isn't the standard view for files in any file explorer and might be difficult for others to achieve this prior to uploading.

@frm

will your method still work if i upload 50 photos on monday, and then tuesday i upload another 50 photos?
I have not tried that as once a gallery is up, it's up.

But, there should be a way to order or rearrange items in a gallery nonetheless as I might've forgotten a couple images between steps A to G in a tour and have to revisit to make E, F, G push everything else (the old E would be new H, old F the new I and so on, otherwise they might be tacked on to the end of the gallery where it's again, out of order).

Just got bitten by this again uploading a batch and I forgot I need to name everything in reverse. PLEASE add an option to display images in "reverse" (the logical way) throughout the entire category/album, or reorder images, or both. The way it is now is just a PITA because 9 times out of 10 I need to manually rename all images in advance if I want them to show in the correct viewing order. I really shouldn't have to waste my time with that, nor should everyone else wanting to display images in the logical order, from first to last.

Just got bitten by this again uploading a batch and I forgot I need to name everything in reverse. PLEASE add an option to display images in "reverse" (the logical way) throughout the entire category/album, or reorder images, or both. The way it is now is just a PITA because 9 times out of 10 I need to manually rename all images in advance if I want them to show in the correct viewing order. I really shouldn't have to waste my time with that, nor should everyone else wanting to display images in the logical order, from first to last.
You'd think uploading by a few photo story galleries by now, I would've nailed this with Lr exporting; problem is, I'm getting used to LrCC and advanced exporting isn't available.

That said, I can always rearrange files in reverse order from the folder view and then upload. It's hit and miss.

But there definitely needs to be an arrange option so even if we don't export 001, 002, 003, etc. and choose something a little more SEO friendly like "arriving at X" ... to "leaving X", it doesn't hurt your brain trying to figure out which to upload first to see it first in a story.

@frm @Brentnauer
I just wrote a guide how to add a order by title option here
I appreciate a fix for the title, but, it doesn't quite help with ordering. If I miss a photo in the album to create a story, I would have to purposefully title it something else to fit in between two pictures. An album should be able to drag/drop order at any time (or set DISPLAY ORDER like in nodes, etc.).

Top Bottom