Option to set default thread type tab to question or other type

Mr Lucky

In regard to this post and Chris's answer, I am finding that I also want a forum that is not entirely questions, however is actually geared mostly towards questions.

The problem is that most (in my experience anyway) users won't actually notice the tabs for different topyes that are allowed in a forum that is defeined as a discussion forum that allows other types.

So for this scenario (which I believe we may all begin to find is quite common) it would be great if we could make Question the default focussed tab.

OR

There are alternative solutions such as having no tab default, and users a forced to choose a tab - so it would work a bit like thread fields. This would basically be like radio buttons that start out with no default.

Last edited:
Upvote 34
I want better exposure as well, my users are not using the Question tab for actual questions. Two people used it in a month. But I'm afraid if I set the default to Question then I'll get a bunch of people wondering why it posted weird, and not as a discussion (if that was the intent). There has to be a better way.

I am going to try a thread prompt to let users know if they have a question to select the Question tab. Posting this in case anyone else wants to try.

I had thought of a notice but I abandoned the idea because it was a bit big for such a small detail, thread prompt is a very good idea, I implement your suggestion immediately ! (no need votes) :)

I totally forgot about prompts. I'm thinking this is the way also. Mine says:

"If this is a question, please select the Question tab"

My problem is that I used the prompt to encourage users to create explicit titles: "choose an explicit and concise title, express yourself in clear terms" now I have to find a mix without making a prompt too big.

would be great if the option to require a prefix would also trigger the question or discussion tabs . then if user selected discussion the discussion tab would be selected., If user selected Question then the Question tab would be selected.

This would be nice feature so for all tabs article polls etc. force the prefix for user and it changes the tabs.

just an idea
1607428709573.webp

thanks
Spiro

would be great if the option to require a prefix would also trigger the question or discussion tabs . then if user selected discussion the discussion tab would be selected., If user selected Question then the Question tab would be selected.

This would be nice feature so for all tabs article polls etc. force the prefix for user and it changes the tabs.

just an idea
View attachment 241558

thanks
Spiro
I agree, and you can vote for that here:

I agree, and you can vote for that here:
Ah i upvoted for that nice.

I don't think so.

However, you can use this addon by @Ozzy47 to remind members that the option exists:

I use this addon to insert "Should you use Question or Article Mode for this thread? Select the correct tab below." into the Title field, and "Note: If you are asking a question or seeking advice, please select the QAuestion Tab to use Question Mode. For longer articles, use Article Mode." into the post text box.

It's not perfect but it does help.

This has been a somewhat solution for me. Have seen a lot more questions.
But are they questions that are relevant tom the concept of question threads? The big issue is I get people then selecting the question tab and than asking "who is the best female singer ever?" And of course there is no one answer/solution.

Or is there? Maybe there is.

Last edited:
Well I also have actual dedicated question forums and sometimes they post statements, not questions. So no, there is no real solution here. The user is going to post how they want. People can still up/downvote and a solution may not be needed so it is never selected. No biggie! You can only do so much in moderating intent.

Top Bottom