Optimising server

Naz

XenForo developer
Staff member
I've recently begun working on migrating a fairly large sized vBulletin installation to XenForo. I've been looking in to the most efficient ways to increase performance on the site after the switch.

I've heard things about Zend Optimiser and other similar things and was wondering what would be the best solution to look in to getting on the server.

Thanks.

What web server software are you running? What version of PHP? Version of MySQL?
Apache. PHP and MySQL hadn't been upgraded to ensure vBulletin doesn't break. PHP is at 5.4.24 and MySQL is at 5.5.35.

You could try looking into using nginx, or if you prefer to keep Apache, at least use nginx as a reverse-proxy to Apache.

I'd also update to the latest stable version of PHP (5.5.9) and take a look at either MariaDB or Percona (drop in replacements of standard MySQL).

PHP 5.5.x has Zend's OPCache built into the core and other improvements (memory related), you could also look at memcached (libmemcached, too) as well.

You could try looking into using nginx, or if you prefer to keep Apache, at least use nginx as a reverse-proxy to Apache.

I'd also update to the latest stable version of PHP (5.5.9) and take a look at either MariaDB or Percona (drop in replacements of standard MySQL).

PHP 5.5.x has Zend's OPCache built into the core and other improvements (memory related), you could also look at memcached (libmemcached, too) as well.
With Zend's OPCache built in to 5.5, I wouldn't need to do anything for that to take affect on XenForo, right? And also for memcached, are their any specific configuration values I need to use for XF?

That's correct (nothing you need to do to enable it), the OPCache basically just takes bytecode and stores it in memory, which increases performance as PHP won't need to load and parse code on each request.

You just need to add a few lines of code within your config.php file, take a quick peek here... http://xenforo.com/help/cache/.

That's correct (nothing you need to do to enable it), the OPCache basically just takes bytecode and stores it in memory, which increases performance as PHP won't need to load and parse code on each request.

You just need to add a few lines of code within your config.php file, take a quick peek here... http://xenforo.com/help/cache/.
Ah that's good, thanks for that information. Sounds like this won't require much effort. Anything else that would help?

memcached has no benefit to a single server environment. xCache gave me way better results than the integrated Zend opcache since xCache is a variable cache as well as opcache.

I am on a vhost while I did my vbulletin to XF migration. I am now ready to go to a new dedicated server and the support team is asking me what XenForo likes best?

Just to clarify, what versions and extra's should I have installed for XenForo now and down the path this year ready prior to uploading it all there?

Thanks for the help here!

I'm clueless beyond basic admin. I leased this and have a support service:

This is what I have.

Chassis Model: 813MT-300CB - 4x Hot-Swap HDD Bays
Motherboard Model: X8STi-F
Processor 1: Intel Core i7-920 Quad Core - 2.66Ghz, 8MB Cache, 4.8GT/s QPI, HyperThreading
Memory: 12GB RAM
RAM Type: DDR3 NON-ECC Unbuffered
Storage Drive 1: 500GB SATA 7,200RPM
Storage Drive 2: 500GB SATA 7,200RPM

memcached has no benefit to a single server environment. xCache gave me way better results than the integrated Zend opcache since xCache is a variable cache as well as opcache.
What kind of setup would I be looking at with xCache?

It depends on your board's size. I would say the xcache.size shouldn't be lower than whatever you had in APC.
Change xcache.count to the number of cores your have, and keep xcache.mmap_path pointing to /dev/zero
xcache.var_size should be around 25-50% of xcache.size
All other values can be left as stock, although I played a little bit with xcache.slots and increased it to 16K.
Don't forget to disable "Readonly Protection" .

It depends on your board's size. I would say the xcache.size shouldn't be lower than whatever you had in APC.
Change xcache.count to the number of cores your have, and keep xcache.mmap_path pointing to /dev/zero
xcache.var_size should be around 25-50% of xcache.size
All other values can be left as stock, although I played a little bit with xcache.slots and increased it to 16K.
Don't forget to disable "Readonly Protection" .
Okay sounds good. Thanks for that. I'll look in to it later today and see what we can do.

Was just reading through this an noticed you all saying update to latest stable php 5.5.x Looking at my 5.5.9 it says its experimental. anyone had any problems switching to it? I am currently on 5.4.25

When PHP release a point release (5.5.x), it's normally always been through various testing (as you would expect), it's marked at stable on the official PHP website, I use it and hundreds of others here have it running.

I think the problem is that cPanel/WHM is a pile of junk (really, it is) and EVERYTIME something gets updated, they mark it as 'experimental' for what seems all eternity. They do this so they can can cover themselves (they write poor software).

Go ahead and upgrade.

Fair enough, i use it because i guess its what i have always used and am used to although far from understanding it all and all the server stuff i can just about get around without breaking anything! Thanks though i will go ahead and update to 5.5 now i think.

It's experimental since it takes a year for cPanel to update all the 3rd party software in EasyApache. Current software (such as xCache and others) does't supprt php 5.5, but if you don't use it then upgrade to 5.5
You can always install 3rd party software manually.

Top Bottom