Lack of interest Opt-in forums

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

The Sandman

Even after all this time I still miss the Public Groups functionality of vB3, especially the ability to grant access to specific forums.

I suggest that XF add the ability to have specific "joinable" forums, so that members of specified usergroups are able to choose to view the forum only after actively opting-in via a pop-up with some admin defined explanatory text.

So for example a registered member might not see the "Political Discussions" forum in the forum list at all, whereas Premium or Active members might see the forum but not the contents unless they go through the opt-in process.

In the meantime, are there any add-ons currently available that will provide this functionality? Might be nice in User Essentials @Daniel Hood. :D

Upvote 5
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I would pay for this functionality as an add-on, I don't think one exists -- and for me, it is also about being able to easily segregate 'controversial' forums, so a pop-up with people affirmatively opting in (and possibly a link somewhere on the opted-in forum to opt-out later) would be great.

I would pay for this functionality as an add-on, I don't think one exists -- and for me, it is also about being able to easily segregate 'controversial' forums, so a pop-up with people affirmatively opting in (and possibly a link somewhere on the opted-in forum to opt-out later) would be great.
It can be done with custom userfields, usergroups and promotions.

Had it installed for a while - even contributed some additional $$ toward improvements, but even then it didn't work the way I wanted it to (i.e. the way vB3 did Joinable Groups) so I removed it.

the UI isn't as straightforward as it could be.

I've never used the VB implementation, but I think the way this should work is that all the forums appear in the forumlist,
when a user clicks on a forum that they aren't opted-into ,they get a pop-up message where it explains why this is an opt-in forum, then a button where they can agree to join.

Similarly, once they are opted in, when they are browsing that forum or reading posts on it there should be a clear button "Opt Out of this Forum" so they can leave it.

Out of curiosity, if they cannot see the node before opting in... where do they go to opt in? You mentioned something about a pop up but I tend to dismiss pop ups out of habit, once it's gone it's gone, where would I go?

Out of curiosity, if they cannot see the node before opting in... where do they go to opt in?

Sorry for the poor description - what I meant was that the opt-in would only be available to certain usergroups (Premium and Active Members in my example) and not all registered members.

You mentioned something about a pop up but I tend to dismiss pop ups out of habit, once it's gone it's gone, where would I go?

I imagined that there would be some kind of opt-in link under the forum description on the forumhom and forumview pages visible to eligible members, but Russ's suggestion is another solution which leads back to the posts by Lisa and Brogan.

Of course I don't know what @The Sandman has in mind but something like this could be useful:

View attachment 119167

Sorry for the poor description - what I meant was that the opt-in would only be available to certain usergroups (Premium and Active Members in my example) and not all registered members.

I imagined that there would be some kind of opt-in link under the forum description on the forumhom and forumview pages visible to eligible members, but Russ's suggestion is another solution which leads back to the posts by Lisa and Brogan.

This is exactly as I imagine it. Users see the node in the forum list and click it like normal, which would open a modal or take them to a page explaining why it's opt-in. They can then follow a link to opt in via account settings (like @Russ's attachment).

Top Bottom