Opening a secondary overlay kills the first

Enigma

Open question: When you open up an overlay from an overlay, when you close the topmost overlay, should the previous one still be shown underneath? Or in other words, should the second overlay open on top of the first?

So for example, if you click to view the list of people who liked a post (here is an example), then you click an avatar in the list to view the Member Card, when you close the Member Card, you are not taken back to the list of users who had liked the post.

Another example: You click to view the results of a poll and it is opened in an overlay. (Sample poll to test it) Then you click the # of votes links to see who voted for each option and a second overlay opens. From the second overlay, you can open the users' Member Cards as well in overlays.

I think it would be a usability improvement to return to the first overlay when closing the second in these cases. Don't know how practical it would be though.

I'm not really worried about any possible technical difficulties; they can almost always be overcome if need be. I'm more interested in the usability of this. What would be most usable and most intuitive?

The best solution is to maintain a list of overlays, such that the previous overlay is returned when the present overlay is closed. I've not examined the code, but the best outcome would be to maintain multiple overlays, hiding all but the current. If you had to recreate them, you would lose your scroll position, say in the list of member's overlay.

The best solution is to maintain a list of overlays, such that the previous overlay is returned when the present overlay is closed. I've not examined the code, but the best outcome would be to maintain multiple overlays, hiding all but the current. If you had to recreate them, you would lose your scroll position, say in the list of member's overlay.

Sounds like a winning solution to me.

I just now wanted to check who voted for each option in a poll with about 5 options. It's pretty annoying to have to open the poll results popup again after checking who voted for each option, just to check who voted in the next option.

Anyway, can we move this thread to the bug reports forum? (If Mike/Kier are in agreement)

Top Bottom