XF 2.1 Oops! We ran into some problems.

Faust

Well-known member
Hi. I tried to set some nodes permissions, and when pressing save I got this issue:

Oops! We ran into some problems. Please try again later. More error details may be in the browser console.

I check browser console and I got this error:

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 ()
Unchecked runtime.lastError: QUOTA_BYTES_PER_ITEM quota exceeded

Any advice or idea how I can fix this issue ?
Thanks
 
Last edited:

djbaxter

Well-known member
1. QUOTA_BYTES_PER_ITEM quota exceeded is a Chrome browser or browser extension error. Quick research suggests that this often happens if you have the Chrome Sync extension installed or enabled and it's trying to sync your browser tabs between two or more computers or devices. Try disabling sync or better yet ALL Chrome extensions and see if that helps. If you're using Microsoft Edge, the same may apply.

2. Error 403 Forbidden may be secondary to the Chrome errors or it may be a second separate problem. I used to get this on one server where Wordpress was running in the root and vBulletin 4 (gasp yes vBulletin) was running in a subdomain or subfolder. Restrictions from one of the Wordpress plugins (specifically Wordfence) were preventing me from making certain kinds of changes to the forum. I was able to make such changes only if I temporarily disabled Wordfence in Wordpress. Wordfence has since made a change so it blocks such attempts but now informs me to indicate whether this is legitimate, in which case I can go back to the previous page end enable/save the change without it being blocked by Wordfence. There may be similar issues with other Wordfence or Xenforo firewalls.

3. Check to make sure that your .htaccess file is not blocking the operation. If you have recently edited .htaccess using Notepad, (a) never ever do that again, and (b) use Notepad ++ set to save files in Unix format to open and resave the .htaccess file. This is not trivial! I have seen many examples of a bad .htaccess edit screwing up sites because it saves with extra line feeds or something. Usually, it causes a 500 server error but it could conceivably result in other server errors.

3. If the Error 403 is not related to firewalls, check to see if mod_security is enable on your server and if so disable that.

4. Check for other server related permissions that may be blocking you.

5. If you don't find any of these to be helpful, submit a ticket to Xenforo or hire one of the recommended Xenforo expert trouble shooters to track down what's going on.
 

GPA-R

Active member
If you are not the server administrator or haven't set it up I'd suggest not to mess around with it. You can easily break things. Ask the admin to check it for you.
 
Top