Fixed  "* only visible members counted" -- not true?

Ati

Hi,

could someone please confirm this?

It seems to me that the number of members shown on the "Members online now" page includes all invisible members, too.

On my test-board I have "Show your online status" unchecked, and this user -- correctly -- is not displayed in the "Members online now" box on the forum homepage. However, it is counted as being an online member. This is fine, since it's true, and there's no text here, saying that only visible users are counted.

On the "Members Online Now" page however, in the "Online Statistics" box, the same number is shown as on t he forum homepage, with the added text "* only visible members counted". This does not appear to be true.

Or does this text refer to something else? In which case it is a little confusing.

It is true.

In the following situation I am logged out.
On another PC, I got another account running with Invisible Mode, this is what it shows.
2.webp

It is true.

In the following situation I am logged out.
On another PC, I got another account running with Invisible Mode, this is what it shows.
View attachment 10954

Not this box, the other one:

online1.webp

I have a normal user logged on, and an invisible user. That's 2, the number is correct, but the text that says only visible members are counted is not true IMHO.

This is what it looks like on the forum main page, when looked at by the normal user (the other, INVISIBLE user is not listed):

online2.webp

The total does indeed show both visible and invisible members. This is by design, as privacy dictates that we do not identify invisible members, but there is nothing to stop them from contributing anonymously to totals.

The 'only visible members counted' text is not part of the default XenForo installation.

Hi Kier,

Don't mean to be picky.:) But is "hidden visitors" the right wordage? I mean, only members can hide themselves. Wouldn't it be better "Totals may include hidden members".

*Ducking Kier's backhand slap*

xenDach

Hidden visitors is the correct term because 'members' does not have any indication of current browsing activity implied.

confused.png
Ok. I don't understand to be honest. But that is ok. I don't have to.
biggrin.png

xenDach

A person can be a member but not visit, but a visitor is a visitor by virtue of visiting. :)
hehehe....So in your "deep":p definition a member is also a visitor, just like a guest is a visitor. Got it, I think. It just leads one to believe guests can also hide themselves in some way, which isn't the case. Saying "members" can be hidden is the way the software actually works and also points to a function a member could use. "Hmm....how do I hide myself, if I wanted to?" Now you might have guests asking themselves that same question.;)

Again, this is splitting frog hairs.:D

xenDach

Top Bottom