Online Status Indicator - Add different color for invisible users

Let's be real though, would it really hurt if admins/mods with access could view some sort of "invisible indicator".

Would it be bloat? No. I usually do an edit to remove the invisible ability anyways but I can't see why it'd be a bad thing to allow a third color for invisible.
Would it really hurt if admins/mods with access couldn't view an invisible indicator?

No, it's not bloat and we'll see if KAM implement this - I'm not bothered either way, I just don't think it's necessary. Personally I'd prefer they spent that little bit of time in implementing other more important features. :)

The purpose of the third color is to indicate that the member is invisible to those who can bypass user privacy, so they do not mistakenly advertise the fact that someone is indeed online (by making a post about that person, for example). The online list on forum home differentiates between visible and invisible, so even just for the sake of consistency, shouldn't the post-bit as well?

The purpose of the third color is to indicate that the member is invisible to those who can bypass user privacy, so they do not mistakenly advertise the fact that someone is indeed online (by making a post about that person, for example).
What you say is true, but the member card/profile have behaved like this since day one and I haven't heard any concerns from that. (Similarly, you can view profiles that normal users otherwise can't see.)

The online list on forum home differentiates between visible and invisible, so even just for the sake of consistency, shouldn't the post-bit as well?
As noted, other places don't differentiate explicitly. If anything, that one place is inconsistent.

There is another use for having the invisible indicator: while the function is mostly used in a valid way, there also are situations with problematic users who abuse this function or who activate this function after forum drama, while trolling. Its very useful in such situation if staff can see that the user is browsing the forum or hovering troll threads in invisible mode. For staff this can be a red flag in specific situations. I have seen many such situations.

There is another use for having the invisible indicator: while the function is mostly used in a valid way, there also are situations with problematic users who abuse this function or who activate this function after forum drama, while trolling. Its very useful in such situation if staff can see that the user is browsing the forum or hovering troll threads in invisible mode. For staff this can be a red flag in specific situations. I have seen many such situations.

If staff can bypass the privacy, doesn't that solve it? They still see them online, with the green dot.

If staff can bypass the privacy, doesn't that solve it? They still see them online, with the green dot.
No, its about intent. If a users is out to cause havoc and drama, or is butt-hurt then the invisible status says something about the mindset of the user. Especially if it coincides with hovering a problematic thread for hours.

This is also important when 3rd party addons implement the xf visibility state. For example if you have a chat and the user is watching chat discussion while invisible.

Imagine that you are chatting to a friend of yours in your chat room (I assume you have none, but for the sake of argument imagine that you do) . No one is in the chat except your friend and you and only specific usergroups have access. So you can freely chat and choose to discuss some recent drama that took recently place. Lets say that one member attacked you in the forum and your friend gives his opinion on the situation. Meanwhile the member that caused the drama is watching while invisible, takes screenshots and posts that on another site. You can see how that is unwanted abuse of the invisible mode. This is just one specific real life example of how its useful for staff to catch on to the use of invisibility mode.

Another example from forum drama history: a popular prolific poster gets warned by staff over a specific thread he posted and reacts very antagonistic. He announces to leave the site turns on invisible mode, while contacting other ranking members by conversation or facebook to try organize a riot. In this case the invisible mode is abused to trick members into believing that the member is no longer participating or by trying to hide malicious actions.

One time we were under hacking attack, carried out from registered accounts. The accounts were set to invisible mode. This actually highlighted the accounts for us, because in this case the invisibility mode was used to try mask malicious actions.

There are plenty of examples like this. Invisibility mode can be abused. Often members mistakenly think that staff doesn't see invisible users. A user who tries to hide from staff generally has an issue that the staff wants to be aware of.

Imagine that you are chatting to a friend of yours in your chat room (I assume you have none, but for the sake of argument imagine that you do) . No one is in the chat except your friend and you and only specific usergroups have access. So you can freely chat and choose to discuss some recent drama that took recently place. Lets say that one member attacked you in the forum and your friend gives his opinion on the situation. Meanwhile the member that caused the drama is watching while invisible, takes screenshots and posts that on another site. You can see how that is unwanted abuse of the invisible mode. This is just one specific real life example of how its useful for staff to catch on to the use of invisibility mode.

How would the ability to see invisible status on the message user info block help with members being invisible while viewing the chat page?

How would the ability to see invisible status on the message user info block help with members being invisible while viewing the chat page?
Most chat applications for vb add a marker for invisibility to the username. If xf would have a way to get the invisibility status, then I am sure that this will find its way into chat applications and other addons.
Its also particularly useful for addons/functions that show who is browsing a thread/addon entry.

The chat add-on I use has a sidebar which lists all the current users in chat, and highlights those who are invisible.
Just as with the forum list.

Even so, if the two users chatting don't have the override privacy permission then they still wouldn't be aware anyway.

The chat add-on I use has a sidebar which lists all the current users in chat, and highlights those who are invisible.
Just as with the forum list.
Then there already is a way to get the invisibility status. Im confused.

Even so, if the two users chatting don't have the override privacy permission then they still wouldn't be aware anyway.
Correct. But at least staff can see this is happening.

No, its about intent. If a users is out to cause havoc and drama, or is butt-hurt then the invisible status says something about the mindset of the user. Especially if it coincides with hovering a problematic thread for hours.

Agreed there. Intent is everything. Working a big board as I do, knowing their visible vs. invisible status can clue us in with certain problem members. Seeing this in postbit keeps us from having to jump back and forth to the front page constantly to check if they are invisible or not (especially as you come across a handful of these members in a single thread). Try this with 1500 members online at a time, and tempers (and posts) flying...huge time saver. We definitely need it. Moderators expect it.

As I said in another thread, grey for offline works best--the indicator is like an LED. It's "sort of there" when off, but illuminated when on. Not as big a deal, though, as the visible/invisible issue.

We're sticking with an ancient add-on/template modification for now.

Top Bottom