On-Page SEO Suggestions

XẹnPixel

A. Please add Meta Description (should be unique for each) for the following:
  1. Main page
  2. Main page > Pages (Page 2, Page x, ...)
  3. Main page > Tabs (Newest, Top, Most Downloaded Resources)
  4. Main page > Tabs > Pages
  5. Main Filters page (Paid, Free)
  6. Main Filters page > Pages
  7. Main Filters page > Tabs
  8. Main Filters page > Tabs > Pages
  9. Category page, i.e. each category -> http://xenforo.com/community/resources/categories/add-ons.28/
  10. Category page > Pages
  11. Category page > Tabs
  12. Category page > Tabs > Pages
  13. Category page > Filters
  14. Category page > Filters > Pages
  15. Category page > Filters > Tabs
  16. Category page > Filters > Tabs > Pages
Notes:
> Pages
= Page 2, Page 3, Page x
> Tabs = Newest, Top, Most Downloaded Resources
> Filters = Paid, Free

B. Make unique Meta Description for the following:
  1. Resource Detail Page > Updates
  2. Resource Detail Page > Reviews
  3. Resource Detail Page > Reviews > Pages
  4. Resource Detail Page > Version History

C. There are many duplicate Title Tags. Please make each one of them unique:
  1. Main Page > Pages
  2. Main page > Tabs
  3. Main page > Tabs > Pages
  4. Main Filters page
  5. Main Filters page > Pages
  6. Main Filters page > Tabs
  7. Main Filters page > Tabs > Pages
  8. Category page > Pages
  9. Category page > Tabs
  10. Category page > Tabs > Pages
  11. Category page > Filters
  12. Category page > Filters > Pages
  13. Category page > Filters > Tabs
  14. Category page > Filters > Tabs > Pages
  15. Resource Detail Page > Overview - make this different from Discussion/thread title
  16. Resource Detail Page > Reviews > Pages

Last edited:
Upvote 16
It just baffles me as to why anyone is still even talking about meta description or meta keywords in 2014 in relation to SEO. Do you seriously care about anyone other than Google? Because Google doesn't care about either of those for ranking (SEO) purposes.

still a lot of very popular and huge websites are using "meta description".

I should not be a big deal for XenForo to add a simple text-field at which webmasters are able to enter some words.

No matter if Google cares about this or not. Give webmasters the ability to do it if they want to do it.

Is there an Addon for this ?

A lot of very popular and huge websites aren't responsive or use tables for layout.
That doesn't make those good solutions either.

Why should the code be bloated with something which has no worthwhile benefit or purpose?

It just baffles me as to why anyone is still even talking about meta description or meta keywords in 2014 in relation to SEO. Do you seriously care about anyone other than Google? Because Google doesn't care about either of those for ranking (SEO) purposes.
Because people still look at the description, not just the title, of the search results in search engines ;)
They will likely to click on search results with proper descriptions.

Btw, I'm not suggesting about Meta Keywords.

A lot of very popular and huge websites aren't responsive or use tables for layout.
That doesn't make those good solutions either.

Why should the code be bloated with something which has no worthwhile benefit or purpose?

Actually meta descriptions are a very important part of SEO. When you are looking at search results in Google, you are looking at meta descriptions.

Duplicate metas or page titles is a big no-on in SEO and will dilute your page rank.

I'll chime in for support of unique meta descriptions on all pages. I wouldn't need anything the end user has to enter, but rather just having it pull the first few words of the post, category or resource description.

When you are looking at search results in Google, you are looking at meta descriptions.
Actually... no you're not. Google decide on what better fits their results for describing the page being shown, whether it be the meta description or Googles snippet from the page itself determined by its algorithm. Googles snippet is actually shown as a majority, and not the meta description entered, due to people inaccurately describing their page in order to try and manipulate click throughs.

Meta description has no bearing on page rank either.

If a software has them... and a person wants to write an accurate account for a page... no worries, but you can't control such a thing on a forum, or resource, because post to post, comments added to resources, the pages context changes from your description as a result. You would have to defeat the purpose of comments, reviews and such on resources, and turn them off just to warrant, hope, and pray, Google like your description more than their snippet.

And saying all of this... Google flip-flop between a meta description and their snippet, depending on the search itself, as a page can be shown for many different searches, and thus your description may not accurately describe what Google is showing your page for, thus their algorithm ditches it for their snippet.

Meta descriptions are still being used - at times or not - and often, I see them being used in the search results - that was my point. Maybe I just write better meta descriptions. :) hehe

matt

Just for clarification...
At the time this was suggested, the Resources has no
HTML:
<meta name="description" content="automatic description here">
at all. Perhaps I should have stated clearly that it should have a Meta Description where the content comes from the Resource Description itself just like the forums.

Edit: Main page doesn't have a description yet till now, I thought there is :unsure:

Last edited:
With my ~5 years of self-research on the topic, my own ups and downs with traffic; I can safely call myself an expert on the subject. :cool:

My $0.02 :-

Meta descriptions are used when Google can't find anything on your page worth putting in the search result snippet. And, your views about your content will be different from what Google's machines.

Bottom line: Just add what you think is 'great content' and leave everything else to the machines.

Meta keyword is useless, but the meta description is still important in 2014.

But the most important thing missing in Seo of Xenforo is the Sitemap. Very important for active/big boards. :-)

I also think the meta description can be important. No, it won't affect the SERP, but it can be decider when a searcher is thinking about which result to click on. And no, you can't force Google to list the description, but many times it does (depending the words searched for) and if you have a good call to action in there it is useful.

The other thing i would like, and I have mentioned this before, is the ability to have a custom rel=canonical per page. I sometimes have a resource/article on two sites, one of them need to be canonical to avoid duplicate content and now that Google allows cross domain rel=canonical I think it would be very useful in such circumstances.

Last edited:
Meta keyword is useless, but the meta description is still important in 2014.

But the most important thing missing in Seo of Xenforo is the Sitemap. Very important for active/big boards. :)
Now the Sitemap part I can agree about. Wish Xenforo would have it incorporated in the software by default.

Top Bottom