Omit urls within text from search

Gladius

I've just found out that urls in text are indexed in the same way as regular text, so all those nice and long SEO-friendly forum urls with a lot of keywords in them are throwing off search, because if they happen to contain a word that you search for, a post will be returned as a search hit even if the word doesn't actually appear anywhere in the text of a post, but it might be part of a descriptive url linked somewhere within a post.

I believe that in 99% of instances that that behaviour is merely throwing search results off, so if urls within text are not excluded by default (which IMO they should be, as they're not words, and we search by key words), there should at least be an option to omit them during search, either on the user or ACP end.

Upvote 3
if the path to the text search, the search engines do not appreciate, so as to filter the search engines will also lower the level of your keywords

Use google searching. Forum searching is terrible.

You do realize that ES is a paid addon and that this is a suggestions forum to improve it, right? I mean, when we're paying money for something we'd obviously rather see it improved than switching to Google for search. I'll definitely agree though that a large number of improvements to ES are necessary, like these. That would actually give ES an edge over Google (at least in theory) because it would allow for XF-specific options that Google's general search does not.

Top Bottom