Not planned Older posts go brown

Alex Lake

I often find myself reading old posts when someone comments. Would be nice if it were possible to style it such that posts over a year old start going a bit yellow, and then beige after 2 years, or something like that. Can't be hard, right?

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I've got posts/threads that are nearly 20 years old on one of my forums. I'd hate to think that the background would get so dark (in light mode) that you could not read them any more!

I've got posts/threads that are nearly 20 years old on one of my forums. I'd hate to think that the background would get so dark (in light mode) that you could not read them any more!
At this point you'd just use a transition so as you scroll down the page the post just disintegrates to be replaced by the next one

Urgh at the colour choice.
What i find a better option is to lock the long thread and start a new thread as a part 2
It stops old threads from needing to go brown.
I also move the old thread to a secret recycled thread bin.

This is entirely possible already by modifying templates so that would be something to look at if you need this, but I don't think this is something we'd be looking to add to the software unfortunately.

This is entirely possible already by modifying templates so that would be something to look at if you need this, ...
Maybe some brave soul who understands how to modify templates like this will be kind enough to post a helpful guide. I could see a benefit to having the background one or two degrees off for posts older than a given threshold on one of my sites that tracks issues over long spans of time to help folks understand that the thread got necro bumped with fresh info on the existing topic.

Maybe some brave soul who understands how to modify templates like this will be kind enough to post a helpful guide. I could see a benefit to having the background one or two degrees off for posts older than a given threshold on one of my sites that tracks issues over long spans of time to help folks understand that the thread got necro bumped with fresh info on the existing topic.
Ask on your own site too just in case you have some info tech dude who knows how to do this.

Use AI rewrites to make posts slowly become increasingly profane as they get older until, after about 5 years, they are transformed into unintelligible angry rants of pure cursing.

Users will be encouraged to post new, friendlier threads.

Meanwhile:
Thanks, but not exactly what I'm looking for. Unlike many forum admins, I do not mind necro posts and do not wish to discourage them. I just want to help highlight which posts in a thread are, say, a year or more old so folks don't read really old content thinking it's new or reply to really old comments without realizing they are old. I do want them to add new, relevant content though. I have many threads with an OP that is a decade or more old, but the last few posts are recent and the old posts are valuable to an understanding of the topic.

Thanks, but not exactly what I'm looking for. Unlike many forum admins, I do not mind necro posts and do not wish to discourage them.
Same here, but that addon doesn’t have to discourage it can be used exactly for what you want to do. I use it not to discourage commenting on old posts, merely to inform people.

Use AI rewrites to make posts slowly become increasingly profane as they get older until, after about 5 years, they are transformed into unintelligible angry rants of pure cursing.

Users will be encouraged to post new, friendlier threads.
lol I like that! :D

Top Bottom