1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ok to go from 3 to 5?

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by JamesBrown, Dec 10, 2010.

1. JamesBrown

JamesBrown Well-Known Member

I am running on Beta 3 is it ok to miss 4 and go right ahead and install beta 5?

Jethro, Tomble and anotheralias like this.
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Yes, you can safely miss out intermediate upgrades.
    Terrorz and JamesBrown like this.
  3. anotheralias

anotheralias Well-Known Member

Thanks for asking JamesBrown, I wondered the same thing but I never worked up the courage to post the question.
  4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You can guarantee if you've thought of it then someone else has so go ahead and ask :)

This is actually a perfectly valid question as some software requires you to do each step in the process.
    laztrix and Shelley like this.
  5. anotheralias

anotheralias Well-Known Member

I'm not saying people wouldn't be helpful but there are a lot of developers and coders and whatnot on this board, and there are some questions you just don't ask. Like, "I'm having X problem with IE." (Answer: "why are you using that piece of crap?") So I figured it would go like this:

Can I skip from Beta 3 to (say) Beta 5?

Why would you want to skip a Beta? That makes no sense!

Because upgrading it myself is a nervewracking process that often ends badly, and I hate to bother someone else again this soon.

You should learn how to upgrade properly, it's not that hard! You just unzip the chimode and teleport it to the mySquirrel and then do the hokey pokey and some calculus! And voila!

But, I was wrong - sorry to have pre-judged. :)
    Elizabeth likes this.
  6. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

There are no dumb questions. No one knows everything, ask about the bits things you don't know about about. At least that is my approach. :)
    Jethro and anotheralias like this.
  7. melbo

melbo Well-Known Member

What are bits?
  8. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

About 12.5 cents. Or 1/8th of a byte. Or a general reference to things.

I reworded my post. :)
  9. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

Thanks that was a doubt I had in my mind if I was to ever skip a update.
  10. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member

If you pre-judged, it's because that's how it would have gone elsewhere. I think we are all finding the level of help here beyond anything we've all experienced in other forum company support boards.

As another website puts it: "There is no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer." LOL But so many sites forget that answering the easy ones helps others in their search for something they need to know.

I'm glad the question got asked cause I wondered myself.
  11. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

Just wondering: where does the confusion come from? Because I only see a beta 5 download link. Or is it during the upgrade process? :)
  12. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Well that answers the question I was about to ask as well :)

One of these days will think of something that Kier and Mike collectively haven't covered ....
  13. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member

Some of us may have downloaded beta 4 and just not had time to upgrade before beta 5 came out. Rather than go thru both, the idea od skipping one is appealing.
    JamesBrown likes this.