Oh boy... Talk with a Pirater...

Status
Not open for further replies.
One guy posting on that site is 30 mins drive from my house. If he posts any of my stuff up there he will be getting a visit in person...
Reaction is not the answer....action is....peaceable action....or you become the same as that which you engage.

@EQnoble, you do realize these people are typically on offshore hosts that could care less about copyright laws don't you?
From my own efforts fighting piracy of a PHP product like XenForo, most of the ones our product has appeared on are actually hosted on USA servers or in other countries with reasonable Copyright protection.

Most of these idiots don't bother going offshore - perhaps because it often costs them more than their $2/month shared hosting account!

Reaction is not the answer....action is....peaceable action....or you become the same as that which you engage.

It won't be the first person who I have visted in person in the UK about stealing my content. Usually just the fact they know I have turned up once and CAN turn up again scares most people into stopping.

I usually send them an email beforehand, last time I got a nice abuseful "wtf are you gonna do about it" email back... upon turning up on his doorstep the kid who was about 18 years old and build like a twig nearly sh*t himself when he realised the internet "barrier" isn't as protecting as he thought. I told him to remove the content he stole from my site and drove home.

By the time I had driven home every last bit of stuff he had stole was gone from his site.

I usually send them an email beforehand, last time I got a nice abuseful "wtf are you gonna do about it" email back... upon turning up on his doorstep the kid who was about 18 years old and build like a twig nearly sh*t himself when he realised the internet "barrier" isn't as protecting as he thought. I told him to remove the content he stole from my site and drove home.

Do you take requests? :D

I know who that guy is, I swear to God. There's a guy just like him on the Dragon-byte forums. Always asks for stuff for free, never wants to pay anything and is a total pain in the ass.

I miss those guys. I made the switch to XF and haven't been over there since.

There are at least 2 sites like that, they repost all mods, guides, and styles from this site :(. A good way to spot them is through google analytics referrers since they copy the posts verbatim (links included).

Well, once you realize that the average young webmaster now days is nothing more than a scammer and 'Black Hat Spam-E-O moron' the quicker you will accept reality, most of the kids think stealing is legitimate and automated spamming and content theft is the way forward, because that is what they read on forums, the keyword being 'forums' run by webmasters who are criminals themselves.

I love nulled scripts. I don't know what you guys are talking about. Here is an article that my friend posted (got permission to post anywhere I want) about nulled vbulletin scripts that we looked into:

What is a Nulled VBulletin version?
Its a hacked copy of vbulletin with all reference to license, copyright
and authentication removed from the php code.
Why should license holders worry of such script?
Anyone using a nulled version of any script not only affects their own server security
but any other sites on the same server since Nulled versions normally contain a backdoor.
So you may be a valid license holder yourself, but if you are on a shared host,
the guy a couple folders over from your webspace may be putting you at risk.

In my latest endeavor, I was surprised to see version 3.7.3 out so early on the hack sites.
Being bored today with nothing to do, I decided to tear into the php and sure enough,
found a complete backdoor access buried within a file.
When a user installs or upgrades to this Nulled version, an email is sent to the nuller,
notifying him of your url ,which is now all he needs to gain complete access.
How ,you may ask?
Through 2,163 lines of custom php, from grabbing your OS, kernel version, paths
and database info to issuing netstat commands and probing ports, to the more familiar,
delete,create and edit of any data on the server.(Linux and Windows)
I was amazed at how intense the back door was and at how much information it was obtaining.

Moral of the story
Cheating can cost you more than its worth in the long run.
The price of VBulletin is extremely reasonable not just for the amazing product itself
but also for all the support of the bulletin board script by its staff and members.
Dont use Nulled versions of any script.

~and for those of you reading this who may be running a nulled version...
please do not PM me asking where the code is buried because I am not a fan
of those who steal.

I will admit I once downloaded a nulled modification. I had the modification already downloaded, but I couldn't find the instructions to uninstall it.

Software licensing is like a door lock: it keeps honest people honest.

Software piracy has a long and sordid history. The very technology we use now is based on it. Gates stole Windows' GUI from Jobs whole stole it from Xerox. Linux was created because the University of Helsinki couldn't afford MINIX, so Linus Torvalds (a self proclaimed hacker) began collaborating with other hackers to create a copy of MINIX.

We stand on the shoulders of giant hackers. When we realize that, we'll understand how difficult it is to stop them.

Many of them come from underdeveloped nations where they feel entitled, because the world is unfair. $140 to them is a year's salary. And if we step back and take a wider view of the world, we have to admit there may be something to their complaints.

So where am I heading with this?

You do the best you can to limit the damage and accept that its all you can do because some nations turn a blind eye to copyright violations and hackers are dishonest, but talented.

Beyond that, you have to let it go, or it will drive you crazy.

Software licensing is like a door lock: it keeps honest people honest. <snip>

No wonder your like/post ratio is so high. Good insight, Fred Sherman. If, in fact, that is your real name.

Many of them come from underdeveloped nations where they feel entitled, because the world is unfair. $140 to them is a year's salary. And if we step back and take a wider view of the world, we have to admit there may be something to their complaints.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. My experience is most absolutely have the means but have an entitlement mentality...that and a warped sense of morals. Those that do come from places where $140 is a huge sum are probably more worried about where the next piece of rice that's going to lodge in their throat is coming from than internet software. Regardless, I owe no one food from my kid's table because of someone else's lot in life.

This I do agree with...100% ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom