Official Development Documentation

Then you run into wiki-fights in some cases (and I've seen it happen a few times).
Then the team looks into it, and removes both parties.
It's never been an issue on vB to be honest.
And users who contributed via comments, appreciate it that their comments make it into the documentation.
The team with vB simply was big enough devs+support to complete the documentation.

We want a community that is proud to offer improvements to the documentation, and the way Floris described it was successful.

Then you run into wiki-fights in some cases (and I've seen it happen a few times).
Remember only licensed customers can edit / add it. Who would pay for a script and then do something like that? Mostly kids are doing that on wikepedia.

The user submits/adds the content and the moderators simple take necessary action.

Remember only licensed customers can edit / add it. Who would pay for a script and then do something like that? Mostly kids are doing that on wikepedia.

The user submits/adds the content and the moderators simple take necessary action.

Hint some vB licence holders a few months back.

Sometimes people have good intentions but end up doing more harm than good. You know, those type of people. :rolleyes:

Anyways, there will obviously need to be documentation and I support the idea of community-written documentation (wiki or not) as long as it is properly managed and quality is maintained. :)

I really like the wiki idea, and Floris' way of going about it is brilliant - with a group of recommended community members.

It would be fantastic whatever was setup could be downloaded and viewed/edited locally.

For instance if there was a wiki, and it was relevant for xf1.0, it would be excellent to let an admin download that specific version, so they could make their own personal notes on it. Every user manual I've ever owned has had notes written on the pages.

Once the 'Pages' feature is implemented and fine tuned that might work well for a select group of individuals to document things. Of course it would need to be easy to use, and non-admins would need to be able to edit, which is something Mike said is not the way the pages work now.
Pages is currently and AminCP feature only, and there is no plan to make them available based on suergroups at the moment :(

Make it accurate and make sure that it doesn't turn into a "Good 'ole Boys Club" and it'll be fine. My greatest concern about things is ego. Too many times I've seen it end up that only a handful of people are listened to, or otherwise run the show and it stops being about the content and starts being about the people "running" it.

Make it accurate and make sure that it doesn't turn into a "Good 'ole Boys Club" and it'll be fine. My greatest concern about things is ego. Too many times I've seen it end up that only a handful of people are listened to, or otherwise run the show and it stops being about the content and starts being about the people "running" it.

If you are good at what you do, and you do it well, and you can work in a team, they will spot it, and invite you - if that is what they're after (as per my suggestion that is bout crowd sourcing documentation)

Ego trippers are easy to spot, just like trolls.

It's afterall not what you actually did on the manual - like 'omg you reading the manual? I TOTALLY MADE THAT, ME ME ME', and it's more a team of people all chippin in so users have data to read and learn from.

I tried looking for this in the suggestions already, but I couldn't find it. I'm sure it's been requested already.

I just want to put down here that XenForo *needs* good development documentation. I know addon developers are getting by right now, but with good documentation the development would be far more autonomous and speedy than it is right now.

I've noticed in many cases that when someone has a question on how to do something, Kier will pop into the thread to offer a good nugget of information that isn't (as far as I can tell) documented anywhere. This is the kind of stuff that needs to be in the documentation.

And a wiki would not suffice. Documentation wikis suffer from problems like people disagreeing on how something should be coded or formatted or any other host of problems associated with giving users control of the content.

An excellent example that would be awesome for XenForo would be to imitate the documentation of the Ellis Labs products:
Of particular interest to me is the CodeIgniter documentation format, because it gives you a well laid out format with 1st party examples. Granted it's for a framework rather than coding for an already developed system, but I think it still applies to the MVC approach XenForo uses.

Let me know what you think.

+100! I would love to have this although I know it wont happen anytime soon given what we know about XenForo resources and their current focus.

Weird. I searched for "documentation" and none of those threads came up for me.

Top Bottom