Noyce & Moore created their first product in nine months after they started Intel

Dean

in memoriam
Took a tour of the Intel Museum in Santa Clara CA today, thought is was really interesting. :)

DSC_1076_cropped3.webp

DSC_1076_cropped2.webp

DSC_1076_crop.webp

Great thread, this goes to show the power of ideas when the right people are behind them (folks who actually know what they are doing), then they are able to attract capital to grow the business.

PS: I thought you pulled this data from your personal files Dean !!

PPS: LOL, we were still using typewriters in 1980 when I started my first business, an IBM Selectric was the deal back then, if you could afford one.

Especially interesting was the business plan they had.. remember typewriters?

LOL remember the days before Word Processors.. AND Liquid Paper LOL

That Mission Statement looks like *I* typed it hahahahaha

Great thread though Dean.

PPS: LOL, we were still using typewriters in 1980 when I started my first business, an IBM Selectric was the deal back then, if you could afford one.

I still absolutely adore the sound those IBM golf ball typewriters make!!! Dunno why, but it has always been a sound I love, and the feel of the keyboard.. very tactile!

There were typewriters right up until 1990, I used to be a Rep for an IBM Office Equipment Dealer back then, and we were selling IBM typewriters as well as Computers and Word Perfect hahaha I remember selling an IBM 386 top of the range computer to an architect for $9,000!!!!!! including a modem that had a whopping speed of 9600bits! yes that is 0.96 kbps! FAST!

I also remember selling a heap of IBM typewriters to a legal firm over the Computers, as they didn't want the girls to "have it too easy" and "be distracted by all the features" OMG! that is only 20 years ago.

I'm sure there are law firms that still maintain those IBM Selectric machines to write letters, I would bet most top executives still have a few running too !!

There is nothing that can match the quality of those machines when it comes to typing letters that look great.

Dean, I still have one of the 386 models you show and some old Zenith computers that STILL WORK.

PS: But you need a cheat sheet to figure out DOS commands, that is a sure thing.

PPS: Word Perfect was the best until M$ ruined that deal, I could not run my old Word Perfect software when M$ changed Windows OS.

Dean, I still have one of the 386 models you show and some old Zenith computers that STILL WORK.

PS: But you need a cheat sheet to figure out DOS commands, that is a sure thing.

PPS: Word Perfect was the best until M$ ruined that deal, I could not run my old Word Perfect software when M$ changed Windows OS.
I liked word perfect just fine, and I know someone quite well that used to work for Zenith.

How about a little older?

DSC_1098 (Large).webp

I liked word perfect just fine, and I know someone quite well that used to work for Zenith.

How about a little older?

Bit before my time :p but I do recall learning about them as a young freshly minted Sales Rep in the late 1980's

Yeah, Word Perfect was the deal back then, that was until Microsoft decided to put them under, Word Perfect was and still is a better Product than Word ever was.

Altair, no Dean, I don't have one of those, but I do know some of the early computers are selling for big money at auctions, so don't throw them away.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11825954

I do remember the article about the Altair in I think Popular Science. Could have been Popular Electronics.
We have a selectric at work. Up until a few years ago our book keeper needed to use it for tax forms.

Some of the higher end Selectric units had memory in them, you could remember letters and duplicate them out to 100's or thousands of recipients, and they looked hand typed, so those machines were great for businesses and professionals alike.

Remember job cards. Later after the cards where gone that still edited the JCL and called it a card anyway.

No I am not an IT person. I would not know a computer if it fell on my head. If it was an MVS 390 system that fell on my head I wouldn't feel it either cuz I would be squished.

1975 is not that long ago, I was in high school back then, ah the good times were rolling for sure, maybe if we did not smoke so much grass in those days we could have had a sound enough mind to invest in Apple and Microsoft and would never have to work again.

PS: I found an old copy of Microsoft's annual report while going through some old files, I think it was 1986 or so, I did not read it back then and threw my money at penny stocks instead, sad but oh so true.

I'm looking at these business stories from time to time, learning everyday.... Never had I come across a story like IBM. Now I can say I have! THANKS xenforo! :)

Top Bottom