Now I know what a .DS_Store file is

DRE

I used to think some of you coders were purposely being annoying, now I know better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.DS_Store
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/what-is-ds_store-and-how-to-remove-it/

What is .DS_Store?

.DS_Store, which stands for Desktop Services Store is a hidden file created in every local folder in Mac OS X. This file stores custom attributes such as position of folder icons and the choice of background colors. By default it will be created in every local folder accessed by Mac OS X.
Since it is hidden, it’s not a big problem through, it acts a bit similar to Thumb.db which is created automatically in every folder in Windows Operating System. Removing .DS_Store and Thumb.db is OK since they are not system files.
The question is why to remove .DS_Store when it is hidden in Mac OS X operating systems? When you copy any folder from Mac to your Windows OS, these files become visible and annoying.
Removing .DS_Store and Thumb.db

• Copy Folder From Mac to Windows = .DB_Store will become visible and annoying
  • Copy Folder From Windows to Mac = Thumb.db will become visible and annoying

It's not just annoying, but those little files add up.

On another site of mine.... I had so many .DB_Store and Thumb.db files that when I finally decided to "clean house" and removed unwanted or unneeded files.... I saved almost 1 GB just removing those.

On Linux you end up with ~ files..... Typically they are left behind anytime you edit a file.

So if I was to edit ReadMe.txt ..... There would be a hidden ~ReadMe.txt

I really should figure out a script that could hunt down all those files (all 3 types) and delete them.

On another site of mine.... I had so many .DB_Store and Thumb.db files that when I finally decided to "clean house" and removed unwanted or unneeded files.... I saved almost 1 GB just removing those.

On Linux you end up with ~ files..... Typically they are left behind anytime you edit a file.

I really should figure out a script that could hunt down all those files (all 3 types) and delete them.
They have one you can run as a scheduled task on Windows (Forget what its called).

Wow @ saving 1GB. Yeah I've noticed that those DS Store files are larger than some of the other files inside a resource zip file.

I googled an answer. Windows Command Line: C:\> del /s /q /f /a:h .DS_STORE

Deletes all .DS_STORE files on your computer. Now I just need to figure out how to do that on the server.

Here's a program to delete all useless mac files on your computer: http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/dot-delete-removes-mac-ds_store-files-from-windows/

Google "skulker".

This has been part of IBM AIX for one 20 years. It was ported to Linux in 2006. There is also a version of OSx.

In Windows, they have System Clean Up. You can also download and use CCleaner (commonly known as Cr*p Cleaner).

Would be nice for something on Linux (sever side)

Code:
 find ~/ -name
"Thumbs.db" -delete

Untested, but should work. I am unsure if that will only search inside your home directory or if it will include sub directories as well. I would recommend only using it in the public_html directory though.

http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man-cgi?find

In Windows, they have System Clean Up. You can also download and use CCleaner (commonly known as Cr*p Cleaner).

Would be nice for something on Linux (sever side)
I've used CCleaner for years and have never heard anyone call it crap cleaner, but oh well.

I used to think some of you coders were purposely being annoying, now I know better.

In a way, they are being annoying :p

For those on a Mac, do everyone else a favor and don't include it when creating your archives.

Pretty easy, for example: zip -r blah.zip blah -x "*.DS_Store"

I have it added to .gitignore, and removal of those files is the first thing I do when decompressing an archive that contains them (ugh).

In a way, they are being annoying :p

For those on a Mac, do everyone else a favor and don't include it when creating your archives.

Pretty easy, for example: zip -r blah.zip blah -x "*.DS_Store"

I have it added to .gitignore, and removal of those files is the first thing I do when decompressing an archive that contains them (ugh).

Haha, we would if we could. These files are hidden on Macs unless activating the access of system files. Plus, most of us don't compress anything from the command line.

Top Bottom