1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now I know what a .DS_Store file is

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by DRE, Jun 2, 2012.

1. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

I used to think some of you coders were purposely being annoying, now I know better.

TheVisitors likes this.
  2. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

It's not just annoying, but those little files add up.

On another site of mine.... I had so many .DB_Store and Thumb.db files that when I finally decided to "clean house" and removed unwanted or unneeded files.... I saved almost 1 GB just removing those.

On Linux you end up with ~ files..... Typically they are left behind anytime you edit a file.

So if I was to edit ReadMe.txt ..... There would be a hidden ~ReadMe.txt

I really should figure out a script that could hunt down all those files (all 3 types) and delete them.
    8thos likes this.
  3. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

They have one you can run as a scheduled task on Windows (Forget what its called).
    8thos likes this.
  4. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

In Windows, they have System Clean Up. You can also download and use CCleaner (commonly known as Cr*p Cleaner).

Would be nice for something on Linux (sever side)
  5. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Wow @ saving 1GB. Yeah I've noticed that those DS Store files are larger than some of the other files inside a resource zip file.

I googled an answer. Windows Command Line: C:\> del /s /q /f /a:h .DS_STORE

Deletes all .DS_STORE files on your computer. Now I just need to figure out how to do that on the server.

Here's a program to delete all useless mac files on your computer: http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/dot-delete-removes-mac-ds_store-files-from-windows/
  6. Fred Sherman

Fred Sherman Well-Known Member

Google "skulker".

This has been part of IBM AIX for one 20 years. It was ported to Linux in 2006. There is also a version of OSx.
  7. MagnusB

MagnusB Well-Known Member

find ~/ -name
    "Thumbs.db" -delete
    Untested, but should work. I am unsure if that will only search inside your home directory or if it will include sub directories as well. I would recommend only using it in the public_html directory though.

8. TheJoker

TheJoker Member

9. Lucas

Lucas Well-Known Member

I've used CCleaner for years and have never heard anyone call it crap cleaner, but oh well.
  10. TheJoker

TheJoker Member

LOL I believe that's what the developers said it stands for.
  11. Jason

Jason Well-Known Member

In a way, they are being annoying :p

For those on a Mac, do everyone else a favor and don't include it when creating your archives.

Pretty easy, for example: zip -r blah.zip blah -x "*.DS_Store"

I have it added to .gitignore, and removal of those files is the first thing I do when decompressing an archive that contains them (ugh).
    8thos likes this.
  12. TheJoker

TheJoker Member

Haha, we would if we could. These files are hidden on Macs unless activating the access of system files. Plus, most of us don't compress anything from the command line.