Now I dont know what to do.

jonsidneyb

Omg..I saw a weird title thing.:) That was cool.

Ok... Now I don't know what to do. I was going to pull to the trigger on IPB with nexus and content the second nexus become available.

Now I have to hold off and see what is going on over here.

I approached a second hand license on vbfans.com last week , gladly the owner didn't respond until tonight. Unfortunately he will have to chase another buyer as i already made my decision and move my forums to XenForo

I have a project I've been sitting on for a while waiting for a decent forum application to come along (I even started considering IPB). I think I know what I will be using for it now.

Just tell yourself, what was your first impression after using IPB or vBulletin's latest versions or even phpBB3 or SMF, etc .. for say an hour or so. And your first impressions after using xenforo's first build, first private alpha?

It was enjoyable to browse and participate in a community again for me. And not only because of the exciting news of xf, but because I could find what I was looking for. Didn't feel it was lacking everything, and easy to use. I like it a lot that I can stay in touch with what my friends post from my news feed, that i can follow users, etc. A reason to get return traffic to my site; looking forward to increasing the regulars on my boards in the future using xf.

Yer, I don't doubt Kier's abilities... more curious as to whether it has been tested under a sufficient load size.

I will certainly re-review this one if it establishes a decent third party interest with an add-on repository. Looks positive so far as a possible up and comer. Was just reviewing other forum software @ http://www.forum-software.org and there are some good varieties coming to light nowadays with plenty of innovation. Good to see for the forum market.

This one may be a possible for a new project I am sponsoring in the coming months... could be interesting. Kier is certainly an industry expert. Will be good to see once released with the ACP and styling abilities.

I am always as honest as I can be, and I speak out about things I perhaps shouldn't. And if this was bad experience and underwhelming, I would have probably been too honest about that too, on say twitter. Right now, I am trying to hold my excitement because I can't believe how stable this alpha already feels. Quite impressed.

However, my todo list for xf is using it, abusing it, overusing it, dumb-user use it, benchmark it, audit it, test it, read code, break code, and use it to create feedback and see/figure out what I want for my sites, what I think others want, what people tell me they want, .. etc. And complain until they ignore me, with the consensus, findings, and complaints. Hopefully to get a better product. Having worked with Kier/Mike for quite some years; I know it's an open discussion and that they're listening.

I have a dedicated server and a local box, and a few big customers that can sandbox ; I will get the cpu and ram to 99% :p

I was working on my vBulletin 4 style for my forum but now I'm holding on all work on it. XenForum seems the right path to choose

Do what we at vbsetup.com/vbfans.com do: Make your vB4 style, finish what you have. And start the research/development for the xf style.
Nothing wrong with focussing your market to the full spectrum of the bbs market. Sites that focus on 1 player on the market usually end up finding out they should have spanned out earlier. Nothing wrong with having 1 style that users can download for xf, vb, fb, ipb, wp, ms, etc.

Thank you for using our marketplace! And I am suspect with the news about xenforo getting to the public that it will become a busier marketplace soon. It's exciting to hear you've also made the decision to convert. xenfans.com is working hard to offer xenPort to achieve vb4/vb3 database convert option(s), but I am sure that mike/kier might have something in the works too (assumption)

Floris how can't we made the decision , even with the initial alpha XenForo looks more stable then vB4

That was my first impression. Their gold release felt like an early alpha/beta, and this modern bbs solution feels like a beta ready for download.

I am not fooling myself, there's stuff to be done. But we had a peak under the hood and that built confidence with me, enough to start telling people that email me if I can upgrade them to ipb or vb4, to hold off and see if xf is perhaps a more modern and realistic upgrade (read: convert) solution for them.

I'm sure the opportunity will exist to pick up an early, affordable license that makes just such a test reasonable Anthony.

that reminds me, I haaaaaaave to find time and bug mike/kier about a little something-something we can do for a few lucky old-friends and regulars on the 'fans' site.. hMMMMmmmm (I am sleep deprived, should stop talking now).

I will certainly be testing this on a copy of my big board. With XenForo upcoming the future looks very promising.
Anthony: I wouldn't worry about addons. The devs here have way more goodwill with vb addon developers than IB can ever hope to get. If XenForo will offer a good infrastructure to add on functionality, then XenForo will be attracting addons in no time.

I literally just put the brakes on a new project site for Japan, that was in the planning stages... We're just going to sit and wait for now.

Just based on people behind this forum and this public demonstration, tells me we'll buy a copy regardless, and give it a run.

Seeing how "young" it is and no code has been shared (yet), no addons are made. Seeing a bit of the inside earlier though, I suspect addons are easy to make.

With all the excitement , i bet there will be tons of mods. I am already thinking about couple different ideas. Just waiting to put my hands on the code so i can start coding for XenForo

I think we won't see a plugin system at first. But we can hack the forum to the end just like we did in the good ol' vB 2.0 days.

With all the excitement , i bet there will be tons of mods. I am already thinking about couple different ideas. Just waiting to put my hands on the code so i can start coding for XenForo

I think we won't see a plugin system at first. But we can hack the forum to the end just like we did in the good ol' vB 2.0 days.

There will be a plugin system , at least i saw one within the initial demo :)

Argh.... My finger is supposed to be hovering over the button for IPB and Nexus on August 9th. I will need to cut my finger off now.

I wonder what the most times a forum has moved it's members in lets say 2 years.

Would I be beating up my members too much to go have the path been SMF, vB4, IPB3, xenForo?

I might push the button anyway to get Nexus but I don't need all the features of Nexus and some thing I want might not be in there. I will feel very dumb if suddenly what I am looking for gets developed by someone fairly quickly.

Argh.... My finger is supposed to be hovering over the button for IPB and Nexus on August 9th. I will need to cut my finger off now.

It might be time to take a break and come back tomorrow. That helps me think more clearly. Much to consider, especially for your time frame considerations.

Tomorrow won't help. This is a first build alpha 1. It can only get better from here on. haha.

I strongly recommend to stick around and see how this "first build of xenforo alpha" is going to be in beta and stable. No license details are available at the moment, but I am sure they will become available within reasonable time.

Looking for any beta testers Floris?
I know a pretty kewl Black chick who might be interested in giving it a go ((hint hint))
yesu.gif

Jacquii.

I know my people on the average want things to be very simple and intuitive. I on the other hand need to be able to market products, have an easy means for subscriptions, and control of manufacturers.

This looks very intuitive, my guys liked SMF for its simplicity of use. I think they would go for this software.

Just to be clear, there is an add-on system. There is an event system in the code for you to do things, though we haven't actually placed too many events yet.

Top Bottom