Nottingham Anyone?

Anyone here from or live in Nottingham UK? I have a three year assignment there starting next year and wondering about the place. I'll be at the UNI. I'll be moving from the US hot south.

Would like to know the average weather, winter, spring summer. Fun spots? Bars? Theaters? Camping places? I know I can find some of this stuff online but would appreciate your take on things.

Thank you,

Finn

Nottingham is quite a fun town, and can be a lovely place to live. I lived there for a few years (clues in the name ;) )

Weather is pretty average, gets cold in the winter. May or may not snow lightly, not that bad really. Summer can be great. Can be wet any time of year, as with all of England.

There's a great music scene for all tastes. If you're into rock nights then there's some good nights at Rock City, which can get a bit messy. The UoN SU I believe put on a few nights there.

Stealth used to be good if you're into your DnB or Techno, but they also used to have some more chilled out and acoustic nights there in the bar area, I believe I saw Jamie Woon there a while back. Many of the other bars have good live music too, had a brilliant night when Run DMC came to play in a pretty small bar once. Was a really intimate event.

There used to be a great rave called Firefly that they put on once every academic term, but I don't know if they still do that. There's sometimes a halloween special or other raves about every now and then. Usually word gets around the student comms.

It's a small town, so cheap to get cabs or ubers in and out of town, especially if there's 2 or more people. It's a relatively small city center, so you can walk to many places once you get there. The bus system is great and good value, and like Chris said, it's only 2hrs on London on the train.

Do be careful if you're living in Lenton or one of the studenty areas of Beeston. They are highly targetted by criminals, but mainly opportunistic with the students. My house was broken into once, while we were in it. They came through the open lounge window even though there was 4 of us in the house and someone was passed out on the sofa, in the lounge itself. Cheeky buggers.

My car was broken into multiple times, but I imagine it was because it was so old, had no security and was simply and easy target to pop the locks with a screwdriver. More modern cars were rarely targetted.

If you're sensible though, don't leave valuables on show and always lock up properly you'll be fine.

There's a great pub in Canning Circus called The Hand & Heart, set back into a cave in the hill. It's really atmospheric and they do brilliant food.

Ye Old Trip To Jerusalemis another cool pub to visit, it's the oldest inn in England.

There's lots of other good pubs and bars around lacemarket.

There's multiple theatres in the town and lots of good shows to see. If you like the Brew Dog beers, they have their own bars near one of the theatres I used to visit in the Lacemarket where you can get a lot of their speciality beers, like Tactical Nuclear Penguin and others.

The Pitcher & Piano bar is kind of cool to visit, set in an old church.

The Jubiliee UoN Campus is nice to walkthrough, they have some pretty cool modern architecture there with all the new expansions they've built.

Of course there's Wollaton Park too, just North of the UoN campus, full of deer and lovely places to walk.

There's loads to do there, you'll have a great time :)

Are you going to UoN or Trent? What department?

Last edited:
Is that because you went to the Ikea once and still haven’t managed to escape it’s maze, so have accepted your fate and live there now? 😆
Lol, the new one they have opened is Sheffield is appalling. Horrible layout over 2 stories and a nightmare to get around.

Lol, the new one they have opened is Sheffield is appalling. Horrible layout over 2 stories and a nightmare to get around.

This handy guide should help you find the way out.

959487df622d26ddb42413e4cb5f05ba--ikea-stores-shop-layout.webp

Top Bottom