As designed Notifications from threads user is banned from

suineg

Affected version
I am not sure if this is a bug or just nature of the beast.

I have a user that is thread reply banned. He still gets notifications from user mentions and ratings on old posts in there. Not sure this is something that is easily remedied. I couldn't quite come to a decision if this was supposed to be a bug report or a suggestion for a change. I started with bug.

It feels like users in this situation would be taunted easily with no recourse. Sure moderation could deal with this but I think it might be better at a default software level.

Watching and replying are independent actions. People can watch threads/forums that they can't reply to (or post into in the first place). As long as someone can view a thread, I don't think it makes sense to arbitrarily not send them watch (or other) notifications.

Watching and replying are independent actions. People can watch threads/forums that they can't reply to (or post into in the first place). As long as someone can view a thread, I don't think it makes sense to arbitrarily not send them watch (or other) notifications.
I understand and agree with this, I might not be understanding this but this isn't a "watched thread" this is a user tag notification that they can't turn off on a per thread basis. Those are the ones I am talking about. Some people will watch a thread they have no access to.

Nobody wants to be harassed via @mentions all day long taunting them after they got thread banned. I can totally accept an answer of "moderation needs to take care of that" but I figured that there could be a built in conditional that if the user is thread banned they won't receive mentions from that thread.

I think it would either need to be an option to not show alerts from that thread (kind of like an "unalert" button on every thread) - and it needs to be thread specific. That adds a lot of complexity for what is likely an edge case that is possibly better off handled by moderators.

I don't really think that blocking all notifications from a thread you've been banned from is a useful course of action in all cases. Especially for temporary thread bans - you'd want to keep up with what's going on.

I think it would either need to be an option to not show alerts from that thread (kind of like an "unalert" button on every thread) - and it needs to be thread specific. That adds a lot of complexity for what is likely an edge case that is possibly better off handled by moderators.

I don't really think that blocking all notifications from a thread you've been banned from is a useful course of action in all cases. Especially for temporary thread bans - you'd want to keep up with what's going on.
It probably is an edge case and probably not worth any time, even an addon. I just found it a little odd and couldn't think of a way to fix it for a few users that are having this issue.

Yeah, short of turning off all notifications in their preferences (which is not ideal), I don't think there is a way to stop it.

Get the mods onto it!

Top Bottom