1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notifications - bit confused

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by flowerpot132, Jan 15, 2015.

1. flowerpot132

flowerpot132 Formerly mugtree

So if I am a member of the forum and post a thread, as the author do i get email notification for all replies for ever?

2. sbj

sbj Well-Known Member

Go to your preferences and disable it.

3. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

That depends on your options set here:

https://xenforo.com/community/account/preferences

Also you can watch individual threads even if you have the watch threads option switched off in your preferences.

Once you receive an email about a reply, you won't receive any more until you have visited the thread.

4. flowerpot132

Ah so that is the bit I want to stop. I want the user to always gets replies, even if they just read them in their inbox and never reply or visit the site.

Mr Lucky likes this.
  5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You can't force notification settings on users - it is up to them how they configure their own alerts, emails, etc.

In addition, only a single notification or alert will be generated until they read the thread.

6. flowerpot132

That is what our users want. Can it done?

Also stop the only once email notification.

7. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

This is a bad idea from a user perspective. The last thing I would want is to get home after work and find my inbox flooded with multiple emails from the same topic. They may say they want it but believe me, they'd soon be crying for a change back to how it is now after a few days!

What's the problem with them visiting the forums in the first place anyway?

Tracy Perry and Amaury like this.
  8. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky Well-Known Member

I think that should be the choice of the user. This happens on a forum I am a member of, I still get notifications if I don't visit. It may not be every single reply but is certainly a lot of them.

9. flowerpot132

I totally understand that, and I wouldn't want a message every time on some big forums. But for our forum that feature would be perfect because it is very niche so there are only a few replies. So can it be done please?

10. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

No, it's not possible without custom development.