Notification Emails Not Sending

Grizzly Adam

We are still fighting some issues after moving to a new host. The current big issue is with email notifications bouncing for many, but not all, users. Our email is run from our host server-- Ubuntu with webmin, virtualmin. When me changed servers the email account was transferred over as well. There are typically two error types:

host mx1.optonline.net[167.206.4.77] said: 554
5.0.0 Reverse DNS failed. (in reply to MAIL FROM command)

host mx3.hotmail.com[65.55.37.88] said: 550 SC-001
(COL004-MC2F36) Unfortunately, messages from 38.89.136.49 weren't sent.
Please contact your Internet service provider since part of their network
is on our block list. You can also refer your provider to
http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx#errors. (in reply to MAIL FROM command)

The first error is happening because there is apparently no rDNS set on your email server. You'll need to set a reverse DNS record for your mail server.

The second error is due to your IP address being on a blacklist somewhere.

The first error is happening because there is apparently no rDNS set on your email server. You'll need to set a reverse DNS record for your mail server.

The second error is due to your IP address being on a blacklist somewhere.
I was thinkibg it was the other ways around, they were on our black list. I guess it makes more sense the other way. The ip address is tied to the host, not to the domain. Is this correct?

I was thinkibg it was the other ways around, they were on our black list. I guess it makes more sense the other way. The ip address is tied to the host, not to the domain. Is this correct?

That's correct. It's very likely the people who had your IP address before you got the IP blacklisted, assuming you're on a VPS or dedicated. If you're on shared hosting, then your server's IP is blacklisted. You can check here: http://multirbl.valli.org/

Assuming it's listed (sometimes Hotmail is just REALLY screwy with who they block), the easiest way of fixing it would be asking your host for a non-blacklisted IP. You can also write the lists personally, explaining that you're the new owner, but it's easier to just have your IPs swapped out by your provider. If you're on shared hosting, not much you can do aside from notifying your provider.

It is a cloud server, not sure which category that would fall under.

Should be the same as a VPS basically. So yes...I'm guessing that IP belongs to your cloud server exclusively. Check the IP using the site I gave you. If it's blacklisted, you'll want a new IP from your host.

Should be the same as a VPS basically. So yes...I'm guessing that IP belongs to your cloud server exclusively. Check the IP using the site I gave you. If it's blacklisted, you'll want a new IP from your host.
Thanks. Just got off the phone with our host, he is going to try to remove us from the lists. He is also fixing the rDNS.

Top Bottom