1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Notice System

Discussion in 'Styling and Customization Questions' started by tommydamic68, Nov 10, 2013.

1. tommydamic68

tommydamic68 Well-Known Member

the notice system is a bit frustrating to use. All I want to do is have a panel with my own custom image, to my size standard that doesn't effect the other panels like messages. i don't want message panels the same size as the image panel - it seems to inherit the size for some unknown reason. is there a simpler way?

Why does my image get cut off?
    Screen Shot 2013-11-10 at 11.14.08 AM.png

I don't want this large panel for short text messages.
    Screen Shot 2013-11-10 at 11.14.37 AM.png

2. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

How large is your image? Are you doing it as a background image or an actual image.

3. tommydamic68

960x295 but I can make is as any size i guess. i have it in the HTML message section in the notice system.

4. tommydamic68

I would like to have the image separate from the regular notices that do not need the big panel as it is doing.

5. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

One of the documented reasons why I have abandoned the notice system. Have you tried stack notices since your going to get the same height whether your notice is 1 line or 20 lines it inherits the largest sized notice.

6. tommydamic68

What are stack notices?

7. tommydamic68

Why then does it claim to have separate panel styling I would wonder.

Screen Shot 2013-11-10 at 11.30.57 AM.png

8. Shelley

Style Properties >> Notices >> vertical notices checkbox.

Screenshot_67.png

Steve F likes this.
  9. tommydamic68

This is the proper I want the text notice to be.

Screen Shot 2013-11-10 at 11.35.30 AM.png

10. tommydamic68

i am confused - what is that?

11. Shelley

I suggest you try it out.

12. tommydamic68

Oh - yes, i see that option, it doesn't help what so ever though, tried it.

13. tommydamic68

so the bottom line, all notices will inherit the size of the largest notice - that really makes no sense and limits this feature to really either just text or image, not multiples.

14. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

It's fairly bad UX to have a container at the top of all your content continually change size, therefore continually moving your content.

Dakis likes this.
  15. Steve F

Steve F Well-Known Member

Yes basically, it is just a notice system and never really was meant to house images and such. Hopefully at a later time the system can be expanded upon and we can have notice (IDs) and a way to separate them from each other.

In the meantime I suggest you look at [bd] Rotating Ads

It hooks into many places if you want and easily add banners where you want them.

16. Steve F

Steve F Well-Known Member

You know, I never even knew about that option, well maybe I did and just never tried it :unsure:. And I see it adds a notice_# class.

Shelley likes this.