XF 1.1 Not sure if server bug, or browser bug, or resource bug...

• Thread starter Thread starter vVv
  • Start date Start date
V

vVv

I'm not sure what's going on actually, it's confusing lol! But using XFR User Albums, I have it set for guests/invalid users permissions to be able to "view", "like", and "comment" images doesn't work. Viewing does though.. just not "liking" and "commenting" them. I posted about this on the resource's discussion thread a month ago in Nov 26th: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xfr-user-albums.26753/page-11#post-447400

Apparently the resource author hasn't been around since beginning of Oct. And not sure if this is even a resource issue or not either. Because whilst logged in as test "admin" account, with "guest/invalid" user permissions.. I'm able to view, "like", and "comment" album images. Of course the name shows up as "admin" when I posted comment. But if logged out/as guest in another browser.. I can view the images, just not "like" nor "comment" the images.

With another "guest" related resource before.... Borbole's resource for http://xenforo.com/community/resources/limited-guest-and-invalid-users-thread-viewing.505/

I made the setting for guests to view 5 threads max, then they were prompted to register. But on old host and now new host (thanks Mike Edge, you're hosting is amazing!)... without his "server bug fix", i could/can view way past 5 thread limit without being prompted to register. His "fix" for his resource was..

That is a know issue with some server set ups.

Anyway, to make the mod work with your server, try to replace this part at the thread.php file of my mod:

PHP:
//Set the cookies for guests
if(!isset($_COOKIE['num_views']))
{
setcookie("num_views", "1");
}
else
{
$num_views = $_COOKIE['num_views'] + 1;
setcookie("num_views", $num_views);
}

with this:

PHP:
//Set the cookies for guests
if(!isset($_COOKIE['num_views']))
{
setcookie("num_views", "1", time()+3600, "/");
}
else
{
$num_views = $_COOKIE['num_views'] + 1;
setcookie("num_views", $num_views, time()+3600, "/");
}

Please let me know how it will go.

Which worked... So I'm not sure if this browser related, server related, or just resource related? Anyone have ideas? I'd like for guests to view, "like", and "comment" album images... but currently they can't.. and I'm not sure when that XFR User album author is coming back lol. Thanks in advance!

For example, here's a chick friend's album image.. it's Safe for work/clean image lol.
http://footish.xxx/useralbums/autumn-phone-pics-139-jpg.24/view-image

I think like and comment are linked to user accounts - i.e. Steve likes this, Mike has made the following comment, etc.

"Guest" is multiple anonymous users and therefore tracking the associative like or comment is not possible.

If likes was just a cumulative number it could work, but in XF it isn't.

I could be wrong, of course, but I suspect that's why you can't get what you want for guests.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Reactions: vVv
I think like and comment are linked to user accounts - i.e. Steve likes this, Mike has made the following comment, etc.

"Guest" is multiple anonymous users and therefore tracking the associative like or comment is not possible.

If likes was just a cumulative number it could work, but in XF it isn't.

I could be wrong, of course, but I suspect that's why you can't get what you want for guests.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Ah, true I guess... That does make sense then. Because if there's 100s of "likes", then there wouldn't be any way to track the "likes" in accounts and not know WHO they all came from anyway... same for comments. Well, I guess with comments it wouldn't matter who they come from per se though... cause it could/would work like a "guestbook". With "likes" it would be tougher though, just a bunch of "unlinked/unregistered likes" under account lol. (100 invisible/zero un-registered users liked image Blah.jpg" lmao. I just figured, it would register them all though as "non-existing user feedback" and still would work.. but guess not lol. Unless there's way to "hack/modify" the resource's code to by-pass it some how or just for comments at least

Top Bottom