Not Sure How To Handle In ACP - Want to Ban Username but Not Email

Steve Freides

Hi. I just had a user join and make a first post with a username that contained an obscenity. I don't wish to ban the person trying to join our forum, just to tell them to try again with a different username:

What I did:
  • Emailed them from the ACP, explaining the situation, pasting in the post they'd made so they'd have it if they want to make it again.

• Deleted the post from the moderation queue.

My questions:
  • This person is still in my system as a user - what action should I take so that they can't use that username again but they can register again with the same email address?

• Is making the user a member of the group Banned the same thing as banning the user?

• And would this prevent the email from being used to register again?

Thanks in advance - any other advice on how to handle this appreciated.

-S-

To exclude certain words from usernames in the future - go to ACP > User Registration > User Name Validation (Disallowed Text in User Names) (y)

@CyclingTribe, thank you for your reply.

I took a look at that - that won't work for me because it would disallow too much.

What I am asking is how to handle this specific base - if I ban the entry in my ACP, will the user still be able to register using a different username but the same email?

Thanks

-S-

Just manually change the username in the ACP - replace it with one that is suitable / acceptable - you don't need to ban them. (y)

Top Bottom