Not showing Unchecked forum Category

Victor

Yes I am trying to set up a simple admin mod section which isn't viewable for anyone but mods and admins. It says if unchecked and you know the url that it is still accessible but it isn't what is going on am I not understanding this right? There is nothing showing up unless I allow everyone to see and that isn't my mission on this one.

admin.webp

admin-nothing-there.webp

Any Ideas as to why?

Thanks

Add a "child" forum to it and it'll appear.

When you check that box and you know the URL, the only way you can access the area is if you type in the URL it gave you (or you made). You won't however see it on your node tree on the forum page.

To avoid others from seeing it you have to go to "Node Permissions" and then change the permissions for registered, moderate and unregistered/unapproved to all "No" and Administrators to all "Yes".

How are you trying to access the forum?

This is what I have done for mine. See if you can spot the bug in yours compared to mine.

This is my admin page for the hidden forum.
hf-hiddenforum.webp

Visiting this gave me this
hiddenforum.webp

and should do the same for you too.

Maybe it's your URL you have wrong.

Thanks setting permissions as you described worked! Sometimes we like our own private are to visit it is better than having so many conversations going on!

Thanks for your help it is greatly appreciated!

Oh I have mine even checked it is still hidden from register and also guess that is what I wanted Can google get too it though and other crawlers? I don't want that either.

I believe that GoogleBot and/or other bots are given Guest privileges just like any other user, so they can only grab what they are told they can see. So if you had your page hidden to all guests that GoogleBot cannot see it either.

As there is no bot permission available or made on XenForo yet.

This might be because the permissions you have set for other administrator is by adding them to a secondary group which is "Registered" by doing this, they inherit the permissions from registered users so this means that they are "Allowed and not allowed" to view this page. If you remove and edit the group or administrator your having trouble with so their secondary group isn't set to "Registered" they should be able to see it.

editthis.webp

I am sorry I miss spoke Admin can't even access them. I have tried clicking, unclicking, private, not private, allow mods, set even individual permissons and nothing works. Matter of fact it has been ever since i have had a mod and another admin they don't even show up in the staff section never have and probably never will.

Sounds like a problem with your permissions.

You should use the Private node option to setup permissions for a private forum:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/understanding-permissions.5830/

Creating a private forum

Because of the way Revoke works in xenForo you shouldn't use it to restrict a private forum. Instead you should use a special feature in xenForo called Private node. You will see the Private node checkbox when editing the permissions for a specific node. This basically inverts the permissions so that you can specify Allowed groups instead of Revoked groups. This is actually better for group management if you add more groups later.

Admin CP -> Users -> Node Permissions -> [select a forum] -> Private node

Your permissions are not correct.

Set the node as private.
Set View Node to Allow for the Administrative and Moderating user groups only.

The other groups should not be emboldened as their permissions shouldn't be adjusted.
So set it back to Inherit for those groups.

I've done both ways, still Admin, Myself (which is the same) can't see anything except main category, even typing in url there is nothing.

Only person ever on staff box has always been main admin although the other users have had admin privileges just as main admin only show up as regular member even with only admin rights.

I don't know what else to do seems like pretty difficult just to get a private forum for admins and mods

If you follow the instructions I posted above then it will work.

All of the nodes under the private category can just be left as is, they will inherit the setting from the parent.

That's exactly how I have my admin forum set up.

I have followed your directions and nothing all I can see is the main category it isn't showing sub categories where I have even sent a couple post to the trash.

I have set all permission as you said
Your permissions are not correct.

Set the node as private.
Set View Node to Allow for the Administrative and Moderating user groups only.

The other groups should not be emboldened as their permissions shouldn't be adjusted.
So set it back to Inherit for those groups.

Top Bottom