• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Not possible to add profile image if Imagemagick is enabled

I tried to upload a profile picture while I had ImageMagick PECL Extension enabled. This didn't work, nothing happened. When I switched to PHP GD it worked as it should.

I switched to Imagemagick a while ago because PHP GD couldn't upload large attachments (the thumbnail didn't show).

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
Can you make thumbnails for attachments with imagemagick? How about with the image you're trying to upload for the avatar?

If the file is around 2 mb or more I have to use Imagemagick to be able to see thumbnails for the images when I upload them as attachments. I have attached two images to this post where you see the difference with uploading a 2 mb file with both Imagemagick and PHP GD.

It's strange though that I'm not able to upload a profile image with Imagemagick turned on? I have tried different images and none of them work.

Attachments

Ok. First I try Imagemagick with a image that is 80 kb large. I got this message:
Fatal error
: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/biirds/public_html/library/XenForo/Image/ImageMagick/Pecl.php on line 261
I then made the image smaller but got a message that the image was larger than 50 kb and couldn't be uploaded.

I switched to PHP GD and then I could upload the image with no problem.

Any clue?

Ok.. thanks. No, unfortunately that didn't help solve my problem ;) . What do you think.. is it a bug in Xenforo or is it my host that needs to do something?

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
It sounds like an imagemagick issue, where it's just taking it a long time (or spinning). The line where it's dying is where it processes the image. You may wish to try a newer version of the PECL extension (or compile it against a newer version of IM).

My host did increase the max execution time value in php.ini and now it works to upload a avatar with Imagemagick. It takes very long time for the image to be uploaded though =/, but I will hear with them if there's something you can do to increase the uploading time.