'NoIndex' Threads With Zero Responses - Good Idea?

TheBigK

So I was reading how DaniWeb recovered from the Panda Attack. One of things that DaniWeb did was to 'noindex' the discussions with zero responses. Once a discussion gets a reply; then the noindex tag is removed. I want to know whether this is a good move and has anyone considered implementing this on their forums. Looking forward to your responses.

Hurts near realtime indexing by Google. No need to do more than basic things. DaniWeb was a special case.

I agree. But it also prevents thin content being showed to Google Bot. I think a better approach would be to noindex posts with less than 100 words that are yet to get a response.

I don't know, I've never been a fan of telling Google what it should and should not index, as long as you remove duplicate content and make sure you use canonical link tag.

I agree with BamaStangGuy... unless your site is affected by Panda and that actually helps it, then it would hurt more than help.

I agree with BamaStangGuy... unless your site is affected by Panda and that actually helps it, then it would hurt more than help.
Maybe. A lot of our users aren't native English speakers and can't express themselves on the forums. That leads to creation of thin content on the site. I think it's a better strategy to let Google decide what to index and what to ignore.

Top Bottom