Nodes, Discussions, and Messages vs. Forums, Threads, and Posts

Amaury

This has been brought up before, but I can't find the thread.

A lot of people say that XenForo uses nodes, discussions, and messages as a way to be a different. This isn't how I view it; however, XenForo has a mix of both nodes, discussions, and messages and forums, threads, and posts.

For example, Messages: X instead of Posts: X, but Viewing thread X instead of Viewing discussion X.

Why is that?

Messages aren't limited to posts, discussions aren't limited to threads, and nodes aren't limited to forums.

The ability expand those to be more than just posts, threads, and forums exists.

Messages aren't limited to posts, discussions aren't limited to threads, and nodes aren't limited to forums.

The ability expand those to be more than just posts, threads, and forums exists.

Do you mean how, for example, "discussions" can be used for both threads and personal conversations?

No, but that doesn't stop a developer from creating new type of discussion.

Hm. Think you could give some examples of messages, discussions, and nodes not being limited to posts, threads, and forums? I'm a bit confused now.

There wouldn't happen to be an FAQ item somewhere that explains this, would there?

Page = Node, Link Forum = Node, Category = Node
Thread = Discussion, Article = Discussion (if a developer made it)
Profile Post = Message, Post = Message, Blog Entry = Message.

Its flexible and can include others. This doesn't imply that developers take advantage of it.

Page = Node, Link Forum = Node, Category = Node
Thread = Discussion, Article = Discussion (if a developer made it)
Profile Post = Message, Post = Message, Blog Entry = Message.

Its flexible and can include others. This doesn't imply that developers take advantage of it.

That makes much more sense. Thank you, Jeremy. Really appreciate it.

By "developers taking advantage," do you mean something like your article and blog entry examples above?

Top Bottom