1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nodes, Discussions, and Messages vs. Forums, Threads, and Posts

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by Amaury, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

This has been brought up before, but I can't find the thread.

A lot of people say that XenForo uses nodes, discussions, and messages as a way to be a different. This isn't how I view it; however, XenForo has a mix of both nodes, discussions, and messages and forums, threads, and posts.

For example, Messages: X instead of Posts: X, but Viewing thread X instead of Viewing discussion X.

Why is that?

2. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Messages aren't limited to posts, discussions aren't limited to threads, and nodes aren't limited to forums.

The ability expand those to be more than just posts, threads, and forums exists.

Amaury likes this.
  3. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Do you mean how, for example, "discussions" can be used for both threads and personal conversations?

4. Jeremy

No, but that doesn't stop a developer from creating new type of discussion.

5. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Hm. Think you could give some examples of messages, discussions, and nodes not being limited to posts, threads, and forums? I'm a bit confused now.

There wouldn't happen to be an FAQ item somewhere that explains this, would there?

6. Jeremy

Page = Node, Link Forum = Node, Category = Node
    Thread = Discussion, Article = Discussion (if a developer made it)
    Profile Post = Message, Post = Message, Blog Entry = Message.

Its flexible and can include others. This doesn't imply that developers take advantage of it.

mightlife and Amaury like this.
  7. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

That makes much more sense. Thank you, Jeremy. Really appreciate it.

By "developers taking advantage," do you mean something like your article and blog entry examples above?

8. Jeremy

yeah

Amaury likes this.