As designed Node permissions - last post doesn't show if can see own posts/threads

Razasharp

I'm not sure if I have set this up correctly or not, but when you make a forum where users can only see their own threads, when on the forum listing page it says 'private', even when their post is the last post.

Should they be able to see their thread/post in the last poster info if they are allowed to see the thread? (I think this is how it works on other forums).

We use forum sections like this to 'contact a mod' so it's handy when last post info shows with their threads (or they might miss it unless they go into the section).

(As admin, I can see last poster info - but I guess that's because I can see all threads.)

In general, this is as designed. Showing the last post information selectively is actually an information leak, as it tells you when someone else has been active in the forum.

In general, this is as designed. Showing the last post information selectively is actually an information leak, as it tells you when someone else has been active in the forum.

Hi Mike, I am not sure that is much of a problem though? I mean people will expect that others will be using such sections as well?

I am not sure what else people would use such sections for. We use them for contacting mods, contacting admin, secret santa, and other similar things - all need a visual indication when the person's thread has been posted in. We also use them if someone's thread or post has been removed off the forum, with FAO their name in the title. (We prefer such threads to PMs because all mods can see these threads and easily refer back to them).

Maybe another option could be added to 'not show last poster info if private forum' or simialr, if people really need that functionality? Or have some other way to let members know a reply has been made there? Such as an option to force own thread alerts in some sections? Or do you have any other ideas where we can get something like this? Tia.

Top Bottom