1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Node Icons and Rounded Corners

Discussion in 'Styling and Customization Questions' started by MattW, Jul 15, 2013.

1. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

I'm not particularly good with Photoshop (unless it's tweaking pictures I've taken with my DSLR).

I've had a go at making some node icons for my new forum, but I'm not happy with the rounded corners on them.
    cycle_blue.png
    running_blue.png
    What is the best way in getting the rounded corner to be a little smoother, as it looks a bit too sharp for my liking?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Have you tried applying border radius to the square image?

Chris D likes this.
  3. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

Not yet, I'm still playing about with CS6. I did the current rounded corners by manually doing the line with a pencil tool. I wasn't sure how best to draw the outline edge on it (darker blue) to round it off more (was trying for 3px rounding)
    icon.PNG

4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

If you want to do it as an image, create a circular image using the same colours but with a transparent background and overlay the corners on the square icon.

MattW likes this.
  5. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

This is much easier! Going to go for this option. Thanks again @Brogan (y)

6. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

nodes.PNG

Jeremy likes this.
  7. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

If the character layer is separate you could have used the shape tool and set the value of the radius @MattW underneath it.

Untitled-3.png

mattw_node.png <<<

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
    MattW likes this.
  8. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

Yes it's a separate layer for the character. I'll have a go at doing what you suggested @Shelley

9. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

if you want the psd let me know but i don't think you'll have any issue in accomplishing it Matt. :)

MattW likes this.