Not a bug Node/forum list Tooltip Description display style

rfc0001

Affected version
2.01, 2.0.2
The Node/forum list Description display style defaults to a value of "Tooltip", which is described as "hide node descriptions until the node title is hovered, at which point they are displayed in a tooltip", however this currently does not work in 2.0.1 or 2.0.2. As implemented Inline is the current default behavior despite "Tooltip" appearing to be the default, and it is currently not possible to actually show tooltips.

1517667382923.webp

It’s working fine here.

Are you testing this with a touch device, or at least a traditional computer that has a touch device connected, such as a multi-touch monitor or similar?

If so, unfortunately our code will assume you’re using a touch device in which case anything that requires a hover (such as tooltips) will effectively be disabled.

I'm using a Windows device with a touch screen (as has every windows PC I've used in the last 10 years). How would Xenforo know what device I'm using? Also, other things like thread preview work when hovering.

Last edited:
Well preview tooltips are slightly different in that there’s really no alternative but to only have the work on hover.

We don’t know what device you’re using as such but we do need to detect if your device supports touch events or not. If it supports touch events, we don’t really have a choice but to assume that the only input device you have is a touch device (like a phone) and therefore certain things have to be adjusted to account for that. Including displaying the descriptions in case you can’t otherwise activate them.

The behaviour is the same in XF1, incidentally.

Top Bottom