Not planned [No thanks] Remove the password masking

Status
Not open for further replies.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I don't agree with the article. Without password masking I would not be comfortable logging into my accounts in public places. It is also a feature that users expect when they login to a website.

~Tim

I don't agree with the article. Without password masking I would not be comfortable logging into my accounts in public places.

~Tim

I tend not to login when people are right behind me/close to me when I'm in a public area; people can just watch me type out my pass, and if they're familiar enough with keyboards, they'll be able to figure out my pass.

My preference is not to have obfuscation of passwords, because my main passwords are 12-16 passwords with ASCII and alphanumeric characters.

A quickfix for this is to load firebug and change the type="password" to type="text" 8-)

I'm not sure about this, I can almost always type my password without making any errors whatsoever and mine includes alphanumeric characters and ASCII also... so this suggestion isn't much of a difference to me personally.

I think the newer internet users feel "safer" having their password masked.

A quickfix for this is to load firebug and change the type="password" to type="text" :cool:

I'm not sure about this, I can almost always type my password without making any errors whatsoever and mine includes alphanumeric characters and ASCII also... so this suggestion isn't much of a difference to me personally.

I think the newer internet users feel "safer" having their password masked.

Possibly an option on the form to turn obfuscation off (Can be done through Javascript/AJAX).

EDIT: I didn't mean a user or administrative option, but rather one included to the form itself.

I disagree with the fundamentals of the article, which conveniently forgets that people often log in to sites in public places.

<input type="password" /> is there for a reason.

Possibly an option on the form to turn obfuscation off (Can be done through Javascript/AJAX).

EDIT: I didn't mean a user or administrative option, but rather one included to the form itself.

Perhaps a checkbox next to the password field - nice idea!

I disagree with the fundamentals of the article, which conveniently forgets that people often log in to sites in public places.

<input type="password" /> is there for a reason.

Same here. If you really have that much of a problem with the password being masked, just edit the template HTML once you get a copy of xenForo :P

Main reason I suggested it is because I spent like 5 minutes logging into another site, as I'm having problems due to not sleeping now.

Being able to turn it off for a quick second (When needed), would be useful at times, especially for the people who have harder then usual passes.

It would really irk me if I saw my password being typed out. Sometimes I accidentally type it in the username field or something, and I'll quickly delete it and look around to see if anyone saw.

I can type my password in just fine. In 90% of the cases where I get it wrong, it's because I accidentally typed in a password for a different site, not because it was misspelled. :)

Additionally, I think a lot of users expect their password to be masked and would feel like the software is insecure or unsafe if it isn't. :)

It would really irk me if I saw my password being typed out. Sometimes I accidentally type it in the username field or something, and I'll quickly delete it and look around to see if anyone saw.

I can type my password in just fine. In 90% of the cases where I get it wrong, it's because I accidentally typed in a password for a different site, not because it was misspelled. :)

Additionally, I think a lot of users expect their password to be masked and would feel like the software is insecure or unsafe if it isn't. :)

Mask it by default, but supply a method to turn off obfuscation within the login form.

Main reason I suggested it is because I spent like 5 minutes logging into another site, as I'm having problems due to not sleeping now.

Being able to turn it off for a quick second (When needed), would be useful at times, especially for the people who have harder then usual passes.

Eh, personally I have some long/complex passwords and I use 1Password to handle logins for me so I don't have to type it out at all. If you could, I would recommend using that instead of trying to type them from memory.

I don't think this feature would become default though, but maybe a mod in the future. I know under iOS, passwords are hidden with * except for the most recent letter you typed (and when you stop typing, for a few seconds). While typing "mypass1" for example, it would appear as "***a" as you type and just hide the previous character with *. A mod like that in the future would take care of what you want I think. :)

It's a quickfix to add a checkbox next to it so this isn't much of an issue.

As for passwords... just create a "rule" such as: [first letter of site][date of birth][favourite beer] so.. like: XF19091900Carlsberg

As Kier already said he won't be adding it, I'll probably do a modification myself.

This can be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom