Not planned [No thanks] prevent fake quotes

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
This is a bit of an edge-case, and doing this would entail massive amounts of back-end code to verify that quotes were not altered and would also most likely mean that people would not be able to edit their quoted text. All in all, it just doesn't seem worth the effort when there are so many other things in the list to do.

I moved this to suggestions because it isn't really a bug; changing quoted messages I have seen done from emails to chats, and everything in between.

so what is the sense of quoting somebody, when you can completely change the content of the quote ?
the quoted text should not be change-able.

if the text of a certain quote is being changed, it is not a "quote" anymore.
But rather new content.

Forums have worked this way since the first tyrannosaur decided to comment on something that triceratops had said. While 'it's always worked like this' is not always a justification (especially around these parts) in this case it's a case of 'ain't broke don't fix'.

so what is the sense of quoting somebody, when you can completely change the content of the quote ?

Normally quotes are not modified. I sometimes see members doing it to be funny, but it really should never be done.

What you're asking for can be very easily done if you restrict quotes to entire posts. But that removes the ability to break up a post into several quotes as I have done here.

Main reason I feel you should be able to edit them is for example if you want to get rid of irrelavent text to a reply, like I have done in the above quote. At the end of the day there is an arrow that take you directly to the quote so you can see the exact post.

o.k
fine with me.
It's a nice idea in general but it doesn't seem to be worth all the effort to make it happen really as the advantages vs time spent to code it aren't all that great. Very rarely do people edit what people have posted unless its to be funny and usually its clearly obvious it has been tampered with.

It is not my intention to tell Mike + Kier what they should do or should not do. Those guys are experts in Forum and software-development, so I fully trust them in what they are doing.

My only intention is to search for bugs and drop-in a few ideas (whether those are good or bad is to be decided by the developers).

I am just trying to help in order to shorten the summer in England.
That´s all. ;)

if the text of a certain quote is being changed, it is not a "quote" anymore.
But rather new content.

That's why forums have moderators. if users are faking what others are saying, they should be warned to stop or simply be removed from the community.

It is not my intention to tell Mike + Kier what they should do or should not do. Those guys are experts in Forum and software-development, so I fully trust them in what they are doing.

My only intention is to search for bugs and drop-in a few ideas (whether those are good or bad is to be decided by the developers).

I am just trying to help in order to shorten the summer in England.
That´s all. ;)
Your suggestions are very much appreciated.

quote removed

couldn't have said it better myself
whistling.gif

Good grief, it was obviously a joke!

Wow, you people really are a little precious I have to say, that would have been taken 100% for the the humour it was by anyone else I know, including the chief developer of other forum software.

Good grief, it was obviously a joke!

Wow, you people really are a little precious I have to say, that would have been taken 100% for the the humour it was by anyone else I know, including the chief developer of other forum software.

There is no "you people", the decision was mine. I'm sorry you disagree with it, and with my reasoning to do so. If you wish to discuss it further, feel free to PC me.

Respectfully,

Lawrence

Top Bottom