1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Private message or thread alerts - gone

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Edpal, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Edpal

Edpal Member

Did the NodesAsTabs add-on, possibly a few other small tweaks. Anywho...Private Message tab just shows the progress bar but not the pop-up list. Same with Alerts. But both show the new PMs or thread alerts if you click their tab or title. Thoughts on where I killed this would be appreciated.

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The standard troubleshooting steps apply.

Disable all add-ons.
    Test in a completely default unedited style, with no additional JS from ad providers, etc.

Try to determine whether it is style or add-on related first, then go from there.

3. Edpal

Edpal Member

Ok Brogan - did that and check with parent style. Working there.

4. Brogan

So now you need to enable the add-ons one at a time again to determine which one is causing it.

5. Edpal

Edpal Member

6. Edpal

Edpal Member

You misunderstood - disabling the add-ons has no effect. But the Alerts DO work in the parent theme.

7. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Then the issue lies with style edits made directly to the style add-on. Have you made any changes recently?

Backing up your changes and reverting them and reapplying utnil it works will help you narrow it down.

8. Brogan

Ah, in which case is it a third party style or something you have cooked up yourself?

If the former then you can contact the designer otherwise it's a matter of reverting changes one at a time.
    I would probably start with any custom JS which has been added.

9. Edpal

Edpal Member

A sibling shows all but my last fatal change and works correctly, I think I can replicate/know where I went astray. I walked away for a few hours (had to, life intruding) and feel fresh on it now. I should have more "children" - for spares. :)

10. Edpal

Edpal Member

Brogan FTW -
    "page_container_js_head" :)