Server issue No Error Displayed If Missing Text Replacement During Smilie Import (XF 1.3)

Snog

The error if your missing the text replacement for a smilie while importing shows in the javascript console, no error shows to the user other than what's shown below.

Error.jpg

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
I can't reproduce this. If I leave the "Text to Replace" option blank, I just get an error telling that it's missing. Can you check your server error log or look at what is showing in the JavaScript console?

Snog

Now I am also unable to reproduce it importing one smilie.

When it was reported to me, the import was a huge number of smilies. I mean huge!

The only PHP error at the time that it happened was this..

PHP Warning: Unknown: Input variables exceeded 1000......

I know how to correct that server error, but I'm guessing that it somehow triggered the loss of the error from XF.

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
Unfortunately, this error occurs before XenForo runs. PHP output the warning which would have then corrupted our JSON output. This relates to the max_input_vars PHP configuration: http://uk1.php.net/manual/en/info.configuration.php#ini.max-input-vars I would recommend raising it if needed.

On a side note, in production, you generally want to have PHP's display_errors configuration turned off. It can potentially leak information otherwise.

Snog

Thanks, I knew how to correct the server side error.

FYI, this isn't on a production server. It's a test/development server not on the public network. I have a rack of servers configured with different flavors of Linux, MySQL, XF, vB, etc. for testing purposes.