XF 2.1 No email confirmations are sent and no link to resend email confirmations exists

Chernabog

So I have my board set to require email confirmation (we don't want fake emails) and to enable manual approvals. However, it says an email confirmation is being sent - I never receive it. The user simply shows up in approval queue and once approved the welcome email goes out.

It seems like something is broken with the email confirmations and shouldn't there be a link for the user to request it be sent again? Because that is not there either.

Thanks for any help!

That would be unexpected.

The flow should be email confirmation > approval > valid > (welcome email).

This is how it works in my testing.

I can currently only hazard a guess but I would check to see if the behaviour changes if all add-ons are disabled.

Also it would be interesting to understand whether the user ever goes into the awaiting confirmation state or if they go straight to moderated - you can view this when editing the user in the admin control panel.

I suspect something is skipping email confirmation and it just goes straight to moderated which is not consistent with my testing.

I guess also make sure the email confirmation option is still enabled in case it got disabled somehow 🙂

That would be unexpected.

The flow should be email confirmation > approval > valid > (welcome email).

This is how it works in my testing.

I can currently only hazard a guess but I would check to see if the behaviour changes if all add-ons are disabled.

Also it would be interesting to understand whether the user ever goes into the awaiting confirmation state or if they go straight to moderated - you can view this when editing the user in the admin control panel.

I suspect something is skipping email confirmation and it just goes straight to moderated which is not consistent with my testing.

I guess also make sure the email confirmation option is still enabled in case it got disabled somehow 🙂

I should have done more due diligence before posting. If I do register with the site - just straight through - than the proper flow does work. I get the email confirmation (the site also has a link to resend if necessary), click it and then I am told I'm waiting for approval.

If I register with facebook, for example, it says an email confirmation is being sent but one doesn't come and there isn't a link to resend. It just goes to the approval queue... is that proper when using a connected account to sign up?

So I just tested that scenario specifically too, where email confirmation, manual approval and the registration happened via Facebook and it works how I'd expect (email confirmation is sent, then once the email is confirmed you go to the approval queue and so on).

Can I just check though what happens after Facebook redirects you back to the site?

In most configurations these days you would get sent to a relatively short registration form that contains mostly just a username and an email address field and you still have to type in your email address.

However, there are some scenarios where it might not ask you to enter an email address.

What happens when you try? Do you have to enter the email address?

So I just tested that scenario specifically too, where email confirmation, manual approval and the registration happened via Facebook and it works how I'd expect (email confirmation is sent, then once the email is confirmed you go to the approval queue and so on).

Can I just check though what happens after Facebook redirects you back to the site?

In most configurations these days you would get sent to a relatively short registration form that contains mostly just a username and an email address field and you still have to type in your email address.

However, there are some scenarios where it might not ask you to enter an email address.

What happens when you try? Do you have to enter the email address?

So when I click facebook it grabs and already has my email address populated. I have to enter my username, date of birth and the other custom fields I have set up. Then I click register.... and this is what I get:

Your account is currently awaiting approval by an administrator. You will receive an email when a decision has been made.

Thanks for registering. Your registration must now be approved by an administrator. You will receive an email when a decision has been taken.

But nothing for an email confirmation and no email.

So when I click facebook it grabs and already has my email address populated.
This is the key difference - I'm not sure under what circumstances this is actually still allowed to happen. I think most newly setup Facebook apps don't pass the email address anymore (I wasn't sure they still were in any circumstance) and therefore you have to enter it manually.

However, it has always been the case that if we receive the user's email address from a service like Facebook, we trust that it is correct. It is usually the case that it is verified already by the connected account provider, in this case Facebook, so we just trust it and skip that part.

So, thankfully, you're seeing the expected behaviour.

Top Bottom