.ninja

Liam W

in memoriam 1998-2020
I was thinking about registering liam.ninja for no other reason than it looks cool...

These new TLD's are fun, and a bit strange...

(The only issue with .ninja, is that it's £20 a year...)

Oh man, looks like I was too late.

Most of them are pretty pricey compared to .COM but I think that's pretty much the intention. Just avoid the big registrars like GoDaddy, Namecheap even Gandi - they're overcharging big time. For example my base cost as a registrar for the .ninja extension is $19.50 USD. In comparison the likes of Gandi and GoDaddy are selling them for $24.95 or above. It doesn't sound like a lot but when you consider the MINIMUM price they pay for a .com is $8.05, the profit margin they are putting on top of these new extensions is crazy. Give it 6 months and it'll all even out hopefully.

On the plus side, it's been pretty easy to get some awesome names. I've managed to snap up a good few dozen for projects. :)

I did nearly go for <myname>.guru but decided against it in the end on the grounds that I'd likely never use it.

These domains are supposed to be "authority" sites. The original reason why ICANN is going for new TLD's is because dot coms are currently overcrowded right now. It's pretty much at a glass ceiling.

These domains are supposed to be "authority" sites. The original reason why ICANN is going for new TLD's is because dot coms are currently overcrowded right now. It's pretty much at a glass ceiling.
It wont solve that. At least not for many many years. Most people don't even know these new extensions exist, and wont for years. The general population will still use .com for everything, and no sane business is going to buy 'FirstFor.Golf' instead of 'FirstForGolf.com' as the second one is what people will default to looking for sadly.

Our deal gets it at $26.20 (plus ICANN's $0.25c fee). After costs and such we'll likely be selling around the $28.50 mark.

It's a little higher than we'd like but for now we're unable to get it any lower. Hopefully we'll get our cost price down to about $19 within the next few months.

Top Bottom