1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nginx vs. apache & general questions

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by Jeremy, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

So, I have a recently got a server where it is bare and has nothing (linode) and I plan on using it for a single site, one that hopefully will get a decent amount of traffic. Now, since it doesn't have anything installed on it, what do you think I should start out with: nginx or Apache?

Also, bear in mind my general server administration knowledge is bare minimum. I thought about purchasing a license to cPanel and installing it to manage things such as email, sub-domains, databases, etc. Or should I suck it up and attempt to manage everything without a control panel (minimal sub-domains / emails from the start, but will be added to later in the run of the site)?

Oh, this is going to be entirely based on XenForo (Blogs, site, forums, etc).
  2. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

If it's currently bare bones, I'd go full nginx. If it's centos, try using centminmod to install and set it up.
  3. Jeremy

Its completely bare bones and I can install anyone of a selection of OSes. Any suggestion on which OS too?
  4. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

CentOS 6.3 64Bit (y)
  5. yavuz

yavuz Well-Known Member

+ Virtualmin as a control panel. It's free and would be a decent choice if you want to free yourself from setup hussle.
  6. Jeremy

I thought Virtualmin had lots of issues. o_O But very viable choice. Does it take up much space? I think I saw cPanel took up 10GB?

Will the install handle setting up email servers/MySQL servers?
  7. yavuz

yavuz Well-Known Member

I used it before and haven't had problems with it. It installed all the necessary components to host a website with mail, mysql, php and the other stuff :) I'm using cPanel now, because I have 15 websites on my server.

What I liked that, after I installed the operating system I just needed two line of code to ender you were done:

wget http://software.virtualmin.com/gpl/scripts/install.sh
    sh ./install.sh

that was about it :)

There is also a nginx module if you like to switsch from apache but I didn't test it.