Newsletter Function

JamesBrown

This is looking good :) I have a few forums all working well on vb3.8 I tried vb4 and just did not like it. I will be watching this closely.

On one forum I have 13000 members and to get a newsletter out to them and stay on top of the list additions and deletions is a pain with so many workarounds. Any chance we could get newsletter opt in/out right there in xF. Or even better get one of the email solution companies like Aweber or similar to work with it. Thanks.

Upvote 34
I think it would make better sense to ask xfrocks to make this an option on his addon - or a separate addon to work with it.

On my vb forum I had an addon created that defines the users favorite forums based on posts, threads, reputation(likes), subscriptions. If I migrate to XF (which is very likely) I will port it to XF.
I also have mandatory profile fields where users need to define their favorite forums, for users that have not posted before and have no subscriptions.

As this defines favorite forums, it should be easy to use this data to send relevant newsletter to users.

I think it would make better sense to ask xfrocks to make this an option on his addon - or a separate addon to work with it.

Why? Is there something wrong with my add-on?

No nothing Jon it's fine and VERY useful indeed. It pulls my disconnected members back very efficiently.
But you hadn't said you were going to release it. In fact you disapproved of it - you said it was a stupid idea as an addon so it didn't sound as if you were going to!
You did very kindly make it for me in spite of your decided personal opinion about it, because I begged you for it for months and months. But it really wasn't your cup of tea so it didn't seem fair to land you in it as a support job.

Anyway it's possibly a better idea to get an integrated version with xfrocks addon. Having an addon for an addon by two different developers could get out of step on upgrades and end in tears.

No nothing Jon it's fine and VERY useful indeed. It pulls my disconnected members back very efficiently.
But you hadn't said you were going to release it. In fact you disapproved of it - you said it was a stupid idea as an addon so it didn't sound as if you were going to!
You did very kindly make it for me in spite of your decided personal opinion about it, because I begged you for it for months and months. But it really wasn't your cup of tea so it didn't seem fair to land you in it as a support job.

Anyway it's possibly a better idea to get an integrated version with xfrocks addon. Having an addon for an addon by two different developers could get out of step on upgrades and end in tears.
Add-ons that extend other add-ons are fine if they are done properly. The Forum Watch add-on is pretty stable and hasn't been updated in 9 months and xfrocks is a fantastic developer, so I am quite comfortable extending it.

It certainly wasn't a fun add-on to build but, now it is built, I'm quite happy to share it with others. And you can benefit from any contributions other people make to it. I've just been doing some quick tests and made a couple of changes in this release so, if you intend to upgrade the one on your site, make sure you test it fully first and make sure it still works exactly as you want it to. You may have to play around with permissions, which I know are not your favourite (they are not mine either!).

Looks interesting. So basically we can run our own newsletter. What about an autoresponder? Is that possible? I would like to send a series of messages to new users on a period basis to train them on how to use the site.

I totally feel the pain of the Op here. Imagine how I feel with @ 50K users.

I support a newsletter functionality with opt in, opt out support but would like this feature to handle multiple mailing lists, not just the one.

Im not holding out for this addition any time soon but if it gets added then mega brucy bonus.

Is there any third party solution available which integrates with xenforo base and is able to send newsletters directly. For me not having this add-on is a major bottleneck migrating to xenforo at the moment. I send a newsletter (commbull) to my members fortnightly. Thanks

Or even better get one of the email solution companies like Aweber or similar to work with it. Thanks.

After many trials and tribulations with newsletter sending, I will offer that getting a tie-in with an email solution company (vertical response, mailchimp, etc.) may be best. Sending newsletters from within the software or on the dedicated server on which the site runs will give you a number of headaches, dealing with blacklisting, bounces, and more. The longer your list, the bigger your problems. It's no fun paying an email solution company, but it's probably worth it.

I'd like this feature too, to announce new plugins to my Minecraft server!
As I briefly mentioned in your other thread (and in the forum rules), please like the first post to show support. That is how the developers gauge customer support and want for a feature.

I hope someone really comes up with this plan of a newsletter. i send one out each month and get a 40% increase in members returning from the news letter as well as double the Google adsense money for that day it's sent. It truly brings many members back. If I move over Xenforo from vb3 - I will surely miss the news letter. Any options for getting them back monthly in the add ons section?

We NEED a professional newsletter feature within Xenforo 2.x!!!!

Whether you reinvent the wheel and make it yourself in ACP or simply use the free phplist script and make a bridge, I do not care. But your customers are demanding this now since 8 years (!!!!).

Why is it so hard to understand, that we need a better way of one-on-one marketing for our forums? That is more important than new emoticons!

And please no advice to use external paid providers. They change their restrictions all the time and you end up paying a LOT monthly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom