• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Not a bug News Feed timeout

Status
Not open for further replies.
News feed takes about 3 seconds when called direct but through xenforo preview it times out (ie more than 10 seconds), the rss feed is on the same server.

Originally the rss feed was nearly 9 seconds direct but would intermittently work on the forum (preview very rarely worked), the feed was then re-written using multi-cURL to speed it up.

Another similar feed (3 seconds direct, multi-cURL) works fine and previews in 3 seconds.

As a temporary measure, the rss feed is run on another server (about 1 second direct) and the xenforo preview happens in about 1.5 seconds.

There appears to be some interaction between different news feeds, when I deleted one that was not working on the forum, another one that had also not been working suddenly ran ok and posted on the forum.

Any suggestions where I should be looking? I initially thought it a server problem but the rest of the testing would suggest its xenforo.

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
What happens if you attempt to wget the feed URL from the same server via the command line?

Chances are--and this isn't uncommon--that there's an issue with the server routing back to itself via the domain name.

I don't have access at shell level, but as the feed is just a php file I can call it up on any browser/reader.

I see what you are saying, but I can't see how it can become a problem, very few internet sites would work if you couldn't call a php file on the same server. Still, I'm trying to think of a way to fool it into thinking its somewhere else when its not.

Status
Not open for further replies.