New XenForo Experience ACE - Download Free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, after my testing using a user account in my dev, I'm inclined to make Feeds the front page for everyone. Users are able to set which feed is their default and, personally, I love the idea of having Latest Activity as my default view. I pretty much always go straight to New Posts anymore and Latest Activity pretty much accomplishes the same thing. Also like the Create button with its user-friendly options.

That said, I am not sure yet I'll take it live. Waiting to see what the next iteration looks like and which problems get fixed. And I need to get some "beta testers" (likely the mods) into my dev to have a look at it and get their opinions. I personally like it but it's not strictly speaking my board (community run, at least on paper).

Not sold on AC UI yet. Too different from our current branding and is going to be a fair bit of work to bring it into line with that branding. Also loses some features of my current style that I know people will want to keep (e.g. we have a "header image" that is often taken from photos or art by members). So my last test of Feeds used a slightly modified version of my current styling. Not to say I don't like AC UI. It's a nice style. Just doesn't suit our environment unless we want to make a fairly radical change in our look.

I'm tempted to install this, but don't want to break things.

I have my forum set up where one forum is strictly an article forum, and that forum is set up as my home page. I want it to stay this way, as it was my simple way of not having to use Wordpress and worry about two different software platforms.

If I install this, will it create a conflict with what I am using as a homepage?

I'm tempted to install this, but don't want to break things.

I have my forum set up where one forum is strictly an article forum, and that forum is set up as my home page. I want it to stay this way, as it was my simple way of not having to use Wordpress and worry about two different software platforms.

If I install this, will it create a conflict with what I am using as a homepage?
Based on my testing, probably. Feeds really is designed to be a front end, at least that's how I see it. Had to remove my current portal and replace it with Feeds. Which, really, was what I had in mind anyhow. (FYI, this was in my dev. Not ready for primetime yet IMHO.)

We have a major update from @Lukas W. And co as well as some performance improvements from @Xon. (For which we are all very grateful for his expertise!!)

Imo it is ready to be moved out of beta pending you all's feedback. We closed nearly 1000 issues.

Pending the go ahead from some people we will publish the update.

Still free and likely to stay that way, just no guarantee of one on one support under a free license.

I'm battling over what makes a thread "hot". As of now, it's the default view and there isn't anything showing. Is there something I haven't enabled?

I'm battling over what makes a thread "hot". As of now, it's the default view and there isn't anything showing. Is there something I haven't enabled?
You will want to setup a feed promotion. We probably should ship a default but go to Forums > Manage feeds I think and setup a rule to promote whatever you want to hit. It's rather robust. I'll make an issue to ship a default hot feed and maybe rebuild on install.

Got this running, the hot feed seems a bit confusing still. Just a matter of learning the settings better I guess.

What are the benefits to the new theme that was made available with this? Are there features that are dependent on using the theme?

I think some “best practices” options would be beneficial. I feel like I am going to mess with the settings to the point that it messes up more than it helps.

I haven’t opened up the ability for members to promote threads. Should this be something I am allowing?

I am trying to figure out exactly what is happening with this new ACE system.

Is this still going to be an available style to download, install and customize (like Flare used to be)? (I see that the $99.99 price is reduced to $0 for the trial period.) Or is this something that is going to be wrapped up in the Resources subscription eventually? I can already tell that most of our users are not going to like the new Feeds page as the forum home page--our members skew older and prefer the traditional forum layout vs. anything related to social media. I am thinking that once I get into this, there will probably be a way for users to choose the traditional forum layout as their default vs. the Feeds page. (And I also feel that down the road, as even some of our most stubborn users start discovering the Feeds page and how to use it, they may eventually switch over to where we could make it the default.)

I do like how the AC.UI simplifies the layout and changes it to be more mobile-friendly and for that, I would seriously consider adapting it. For now, I am testing it on two sites to see if we can make use of it. But my concern is more about availability and support of the ACE style down the road. The $99.99 (if it's a real price) is not an issue for a professionally developed style--we'll gladly pay it. But if it were suddenly part of the Resources arrangement for $1,000/year, we really don't see the value in that. In fact, the only part of the Resources we actively use now is the Trending add-on.

The naming of the child styles is also a bit confusing. I see one called "Community App," but isn't that the name of the service where Audentio is creating a custom app for a forum? I see a few minor differences between this and the AC.UI base style.

I'm just trying to make sense of where this all fits in together with our forum and what Audentio is offering with it. With the other add-ons being moved to open source and the future of the other ThemeHouse styles uncertain, I am trying to make a strategic decision as to which way I'd like to go with this.

I am trying to figure out exactly what is happening with this new ACE system.

Is this still going to be an available style to download, install and customize (like Flare used to be)? (I see that the $99.99 price is reduced to $0 for the trial period.) Or is this something that is going to be wrapped up in the Resources subscription eventually? I can already tell that most of our users are not going to like the new Feeds page as the forum home page--our members skew older and prefer the traditional forum layout vs. anything related to social media. I am thinking that once I get into this, there will probably be a way for users to choose the traditional forum layout as their default vs. the Feeds page. (And I also feel that down the road, as even some of our most stubborn users start discovering the Feeds page and how to use it, they may eventually switch over to where we could make it the default.)

I do like how the AC.UI simplifies the layout and changes it to be more mobile-friendly and for that, I would seriously consider adapting it. For now, I am testing it on two sites to see if we can make use of it. But my concern is more about availability and support of the ACE style down the road. The $99.99 (if it's a real price) is not an issue for a professionally developed style--we'll gladly pay it. But if it were suddenly part of the Resources arrangement for $1,000/year, we really don't see the value in that. In fact, the only part of the Resources we actively use now is the Trending add-on.

The naming of the child styles is also a bit confusing. I see one called "Community App," but isn't that the name of the service where Audentio is creating a custom app for a forum? I see a few minor differences between this and the AC.UI base style.

I'm just trying to make sense of where this all fits in together with our forum and what Audentio is offering with it. With the other add-ons being moved to open source and the future of the other ThemeHouse styles uncertain, I am trying to make a strategic decision as to which way I'd like to go with this.
As Mike said just above, it's "still free and likely to stay that way, just no guarantee of one on one support under a free license."

My members also skew older, so I kept the default forums page but am currently using Feeds as a substitute for What's New, mainly because I like the Hot feed and Card view. I felt the existing filters were also too confusing, especially as I saw no way to disable just the filter by date options, so got rid of them. They might make more sense with Threads Types Plus, but I'm not paying that much a year for the privilege :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom