1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Vulnerability Found in Every Single Version of Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Amaury, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

New Vulnerability Found in Every Single Version of Internet Explorer
    Source: Gizmodo
    Published: April 27, 2014

Adam Howard likes this.
  2. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

I think the only time you should use Internet Explorer is to download a better browser such as Firefox

I wish it was possible to uninstall Internet Explorer (not just simply disable it)
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
    Robby, Fred., AndyB and 3 others like this.
  3. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

I'm using FireFox, and barely even use IE.
    Adam Howard likes this.
  4. Arantor

Arantor Active Member

How are we still getting use-after-free bugs? Seriously, I don't understand why static code analysis tools wouldn't be picking this stuff up.
  5. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 Well-Known Member

A couple weeks ago I tried to bring IE into my normal use (I usually have Watefox, Chrome, and Opera Next open at all times) but after a few days of trying my hardest to get used to it I just had to give up, it may be a lot better than it used to be but it isn't on par with the other browsers yet. Now I only use it to access a couple of local network things that only work in IE.
    Adam Howard likes this.
  6. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Sorry... can't resist... been holding this image for a while

Displayed in order of browsers
    1st image Chrome
    2nd image Firefox
    3rd image IE

Fred., Adam Howard, Amaury and 2 others like this.
  7. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

8. EQnoble

EQnoble Well-Known Member

And isn't it grand that the internet explorer code base is used as quite an integral part of the operating system itself.
    Adam Howard likes this.
  9. Adam Howard

BINGO !

This is the #1 reason NOT to use Internet Explorer. Because if your browser (Internet Explorer) gets infected or compromised, it's basically a backdoor into your whole operating system (ie... your computer).
  10. Adam Howard

AOL for those who did not know (surprised people did not know this) also uses Internet Explorer (built in). While on the subject of AOL, they were officially hacked.

".....the Company has determined that there was unauthorized access to information regarding a significant number of user accounts. This information included AOL users' email addresses, postal addresses, address book contact information, encrypted passwords and encrypted answers to security questions that we ask when a user resets his or her password, as well as certain employee information....." -- AOL (America Online)

Source: http://o.aolcdn.com/os/memberservices/faq.html
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  11. BirdOPrey5

I was one of the 2.5% of accounts affected. :(
  12. Adam Howard

Sorry to hear you were one of the people who's AOL account was hacked. :(

The only member of my family who uses AOL (American Online) (and the only person I know still paying for AOL) is my Grandpa (he's 96). Keep in mind he uses Charter Communication for high speed cable internet, yet he still pays AOL for their products and services, because he likes the AOL browser interface (omg!) (and he wants to keep their support) and the other features that AOL provides to their group of paying customers (McAfee Professional for example ... again, omg!).

I still have my account with AOL (from back in the day), but it's a free account now (virtually, just email only). Originally it was a CompuServe account, but as many people should know, AOL (America Online) had bought them out.

Thankfully neither of us were compromised, although I did make the effort to change passwords and security questions. Although I recommend that people who use them for paid accounts, also cancel their debit / credit cards (better safe than sorry).
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
    Amaury likes this.
  13. Sheratan

Sheratan Well-Known Member

Adam Howard likes this.
  14. Arantor

Arantor Active Member

I would also note that it is possible to use AOL for broadband without using their browser software and has been for some years.
    Adam Howard likes this.
  15. BirdOPrey5

I just use them for email- email account I've had since at least 1996. Something to be said for that.
    Adam Howard likes this.
  16. Adam Howard

This is true, but you would be surprised on how many people loose sign of that information (I belong to another forum that is virtually filled with AOL members and this was big news to them today)
  17. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

Last year my DH bought me a Microsoft Surface tablet, which at the time he was unaware cannot install any other browser but the built in IE; Chrome or FF just won't install despite both having versions available for Windows 8 RT which the tablet runs on.

So now I can't use the damn thing until this vulnerability is fixed.

Flippin Annoying!
    Adam Howard likes this.
  18. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Well-Known Member

Actually, AOL didn't buy out CompuServe. WorldCom did, kept the network stuff, and sold the subscribers to AOL.

But yeah, just keeping the facts straight.