1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Version Packages:

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by 1im, Jul 28, 2015.

1. 1im

1im Member

I currenty have 1.4.8 installed, I am currently uploading 1.4.9. I checked the "Download the Upgrade Package Only".

For some reason I doubt its the changed files only. 3000+ files.. This is the not the only issue I had with this, each release has all the files.

Shouldn't the check "Download the upgrade package only" consist of only changed files?

If not, can we get this option? =0
  2. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The upgrade package removes certain directories that could cause data loss if uploaded from the fresh install package. There are no plans to implement a differential package at this time.
  3. 1im

1im Member

Where can I view a list of changed files for each release for future reference.

If I see no files in the styles directory hasnt been changed, no point in reuploading it =]

Whole point of wanting another install package.
  4. Jeremy

There isn't a comprehensive list of files changed unless you perform a diff of the package from the version you are upgrading from.
  5. 1im

1im Member

So your telling me xen's coders don't know which files they have changed from 1.4.8 to 1.4.9?
  6. Jeremy

I'm not a XenForo developer and I know that I don't have a list of files. For me to obtain one, I would be doing the exact action I told you would be the only easy way to determine changed files.
  7. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Doing an upgrade package the way you would suggest would require a different package from each version to each later version.

It would also require that the correct package is used by customers, depending on their current version.
    A recipe for disaster.
    feldon30 likes this.
  8. Rob

Rob Well-Known Member

Only scenario in my opinion where this would even matter would be if you make changes to the core files, which is a really BAD idea. No need for core file changes when there is such an awesome hook/callback/template mod system which let's you extend most of the Base without file changes.

All upgrades are easy..... Overwrite everything.
  9. Teapot

Teapot Well-Known Member

Generally, when upgrading XenForo I use rsync to copy only the changed files to my server. Saves a lot of time and bandwidth, and works better than SCP. Obviously you'll need SSH access to your server to do that, though.
  10. Solidus

Solidus Well-Known Member

I've only ever modified 1 core file, /library/model/Avatar.php - it doesn't matter which files change, nobody really makes edits to them.